XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stand alone intercooler system

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stand alone intercooler system

Has anyone isolated the intercooler system from the coolant system in an effort to lessen heatsoak?

At first glance it seems like it would be as easy as a separate tank, electric pump, and intercooler...

Thoughts?

Old 08-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

I haven't done anything to my 98' XJR, but I know some people on here have isolated theirs. You would have to plumb in a seperate coolant reservoir. I've also looked into a killer chiller and it seems to be the best that we could get for our heaton. It's just a little too much extra plumbing for my engine bay without thoroughly mapping all the hoses out. But near freezing charge temps would be great.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

According to several that have tried it on X300 and X308 XJRs, there is no advantage to separating the intercooler and main coolant circuits.

Although common sense would seem to suggest there would be exchange of heat, there in fact is not of any significance and there is no cross circulation. The only reason they are linked is to utilize a single expansion tank.

The Jag engineers knew what they doing it turns out

That being said, there is room for improvement and there are loads of threads on that topic such as water spray cooling, larger intercooler radiators, added coolant tanks or something completely different like a killer chiller.

Some have also added supplementary fans to the intercooler radiator.

BTW, your intercooler circuit already has its own dedicated circulator (pump) and intercooler radiator.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 08-09-2016 at 10:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (08-10-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

100 % agree with Al. I added a 6 qt. coolant tank to provide a buffer before heat soak becomes excessive. I had it custom made to fit where the washer fluid filler neck is and I plumbed it in line with the cooling circuit

Old 08-11-2016, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

More and cooler must be good at helping to avoid heat soak - if that's actually a concern. Of course extra coolant is more weight too.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm seriously thinking of isolating mine , on the bases that recently I hit an animal with my STR and it broke the I/c water pump plastic outlet off , witch in turn dumped all the engine coolant as well as I/c coolant , which sucked ! as the pump is very exposed at the front behind the bumper ,and old brittle plastic, I was 80km from any were and had to walk for cell phone coverage for a tow in a thunder storm . If it had it's own header tank I could have just driven home , so in my opinion the sistum is clever but floored . I understand jag has coupled the sistums to utilise the pressure from the cooling sistum , but I'm wondering if the capacity is increased would there be a need for I/c coolant pressure , I'm going to try and find out . As a safe gaurd . New Zealand is to rugged for compleat cell coverage . With many sized potential furry road kill victims , this is the 5th animal my jag has devoured in just 12months . and I think this might be the one thing jag over looked when deciding to intergrate these coolers .

Old 08-13-2016, 05:51 AM
Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts

Jaguar was very clever in having the I/C circuit share the expansion and pressure relief from the cooling system to avoid cramming in duplicate tanks. There is no thermal benefit from separating the 2 systems

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't know about separate loops, but I believe Eurotoys has an upgraded radiator/ic pump, which may be a distant future upgrade for me. Seems to be a must have for a twin screw blower upgrade.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by nilanium
I don't know about separate loops, but I believe Eurotoys has an upgraded radiator/ic pump, which may be a distant future upgrade for me. Seems to be a must have for a twin screw blower upgrade.
just go to ebay and pick up the Bosch 10 or 02 intercooler circulation pump. About $110, 30 mins to install and flows much more GPH then the stock Hella pump. Great low cost upgrade.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

I belive the eaton makes more heat than the twin screw , so it would be more beneficial to the standard eaton set up if you up grade the intercooling sistum ,
And from what I've read the only advantage to the eurotoys intercooler radiator is the larger capacity end tanks , and the down side to this upgrade is the fact that it restricts air flow to the rest of the coolers ,as it is thicker . so the the best upgrade is to swap the I/c pump for a larger Bosch pump and add a coolant tank in line with the I/c radiator and pump to increase the coolant capacity , as a buffer to slow the coolant heating process, the tank will also emit heat as well , I plan to do both any way , but would like to seperate the cooling sistums to lessen the chanses of emptying the engine coolant on the road in the middle of nowhere , as it's likely if you strike any debre or small animals at speed the I/c and pump are the first to get wiped out !
I have first hand experiance with this . If it just emptied the I/c you can drive it slowly home , but when it empties both the I/c and and the engine coolant your a sitting duck . In my case in a narrow windy 2lane country highway in a storm Blocking one lane , not ideal , I know this will hardly ever happen enough to warrent these changes , but shore has me thinking !

Old 08-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi Andy,

I hate to be 'that guy' but seriously, some of that spelling and punctuation is atrocious! It doesn't that much longer to type out things correctly, but it makes a huge difference to those reading

Plus we don't want to confuse the locals with more foreign spelling of words. The difference between American English and proper English is more than enough

Back on topic though... The idea of a second header tank is interesting. If there is only one coolant system, and the temperatures are stable throughout, then I don't see how that could make any difference? It might take slightly longer to come up to temp, but after that you're back to exactly the same overall situation.
The upgraded IC water pump would be beneficial though, as long as there is actually decent separation of the two coolant flows.
I'd love to see a diagram of how this all works...

Old 08-15-2016, 01:13 AM
Veteran Member

apologies for my grammar . i should have that written in my signature . as long as I'm at the helm of this key pad there will be mistakes ! it may not take you much longer to type things correctly . but for me damn near impossible sooo what you see is what you get sorry!

the separate header tank is only to separate the two cooling systems . and not in any way to help with cooling anything . the reason i want them separate is to safe guard from loosing the engine coolant if/when the i/c system is damaged during travel like if you hit an animal or lump of wood or what ever. as if you damage the i/c radiator or pump it dumps both the engine coolant and the I/c coolant on the road .
were as if the two systems were separate it would largely eliminate the risk of loosing both coolants in one hit. as for up grades however the pump upgrade is one thing and a separate tank with extra coolant in line of the i/c radiator would mean more liquid mass to heat taking longer to heat it . therefore a buffer to help hold the temp down in the i/c for longer durations of WOT.

Last edited by Datsports; 08-15-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

i think this is what you were after . i stole it from another thread.

Last edited by Datsports; 08-15-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

Huh, that diagram shows it as being nearly separate from the engine coolant flow, aside from sharing the expansion tank.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Huh, that diagram shows it as being nearly separate from the engine coolant flow, aside from sharing the expansion tank.
quite correct !! if you drain the engine radiator the it has no affect on the intercooler fluids , but if you drain the intercooler it empties the expansion tank and some of the fluid from the heater matrix and engine .

Old 12-19-2021, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosing coolant every time drive car. It's an 01 Jaguar XJ8 vanden plas base, car drives, sounds great, but when driven an then turned off all coolant is gone. Ok so i noticed a leak in front by radiator on driver side, so jacked car up and notice another tank. This tank has a rubber hose that leads back to the coolant tank right under hood on driver's side. Tank near radiator, the hose was just places in the tank on the side.( Easily could have fallen out).so looked up all kind of diagrams and can not find anything on the same diagram of my car, and with out that I can not fix my issue of getting the connector name to get new part. Also forgot mention tSo the tank by radiator has half tank of liquid in it but don't change. Tank on top by drivers windshield needs water added Everytime used.(fyi : before any one judges I was giving this car as a gift I know not very much about cars as Is let alone a foreign. Although I will brag how I changed my fuel pump by meself and mastered it. I'm a 30 yr old female. Ok enough bragging. Someone please help me figure out issue and part name.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:20 AM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

Sounds like it could be that your air bleed and atmospheric catchment tank plastic lines have been crossed? (swapped)

The catchment tank should NOT be pressurized and the reservoir lines sometimes get installed incorrectly.