XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Standing alone in a crowd of mediocracy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 07:58 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's strange to me why people actively buy the most boring car in the most boring color available. I just got my 308 a few weeks ago and the day I first drove it to work, several people came up to me telling me how much they love it. All three of them drive boring, grey cars. People act like it's impossible to drive something fun or unique and that there's no choice but to buy a dull, grey car. Yet my 308 cost a fraction of what they paid for their "sensible" cars and the difference probably even pays for years of the extra gas and maintenance costs a car like a Jag might have.

It is one of those things that baffles me about modern society. People love spending 40k+ on a car that literally puts me to sleep just looking at it. I can't say I don't like standing out a little by driving weird cars, but I would still prefer a world where more people express themselves through their car choices. Or maybe they do. Maybe a lot of people are just the human embodiment of dull, grey sedans

The following 2 users liked this post by Fant:
eliotb (01-25-2024), ericnunez (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 08:49 AM
Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fant
It's strange to me why people actively buy the most boring car in the most boring color available. I just got my 308 a few weeks ago and the day I first drove it to work, several people came up to me telling me how much they love it. All three of them drive boring, grey cars. People act like it's impossible to drive something fun or unique and that there's no choice but to buy a dull, grey car. Yet my 308 cost a fraction of what they paid for their "sensible" cars and the difference probably even pays for years of the extra gas and maintenance costs a car like a Jag might have.

It is one of those things that baffles me about modern society. People love spending 40k+ on a car that literally puts me to sleep just looking at it. I can't say I don't like standing out a little by driving weird cars, but I would still prefer a world where more people express themselves through their car choices. Or maybe they do. Maybe a lot of people are just the human embodiment of dull, grey sedans
people are generally sensible, especially those who have children and a non-outrageous income. They don't want to think about their car or whether it will get them home at the end of the work day. It is an appliance and when you don't care, you pick a plain color on a plain car (color pallets for most normal cars are basically white, black, silver, grey, blue, and maybe a green).

They may look longingly at how your jag looks, but they would never want to own it. Its not just about the cost of repairs catching up with their original purchase price, its the time, hassle, and mental space an older car would require that ensures they never buy one. And who's to blame them. With 3 kids, bills, family obligations, etc., its pretty easy to see why not wanting to deal with older car maintenance and potential unreliability is logical.

For an enthusiast (which even buyers of new fun, sporty or interesting cars generally aren't), thinking about their car, how to repair/improve it, etc. is part of the fun. But we are a small subsection of the population.

The following 2 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
eliotb (01-25-2024), Jhartz (01-24-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:29 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I’ve been driving and owning X308 Jaguars for around 15 years now having bought my first one in 2009. It was a dream car for me, I had a press shot of one on my bedroom wall growing up when everyone else lusted after Italian or Japanese sports cars. My ownership has not been consistent though, I’ve had several periods of being between Jaguars, but I seem to find myself back behind the wheel of a 308 eventually.

I’ve owned my current one since November 2023 and I’ve been driving it around here and there as I work though some of the issues she’s got. But today whilst creeping though some early rush hour traffic it occurred to me I haven’t actually seen another one on the road for a while now. As I looked around me in the fading light I realised that there were several of the same type of cars, mostly the same colour and there I sat in my BRG Jaguar XJR which stood out amongst the silver and grey jelly moulds.

I am lucky enough to be the owner of a few classic cars and whilst I love them to pieces they do attract attention whenever I take them out. I’m a pretty quiet person who enjoys his privacy, and it can be a bit much when for the eighteenth time that hour someone has honked at you in traffic or shouted to you. But the X308 is different. It has without a doubt reached reached classic status, but it’s a cool classic that slinks below the radar of the masses of armchair car experts and is appreciated by the educated few.

So as I continued my journey home I paid a bit more attention to those around me and whilst most people paid me no attention whatsoever, I did notice the few who’s eyes were caught as the big cat went by or the odd person who deliberately took a look at the lights instead of immediately looking at their phone. Despite the car being 23 years old it still very much stands out and is instantly recognisable as a Jaguar, more than the modern ones ever will.

But for me the best part is when you’re cruising along the motorway and someone in a car they believe to be fast lurches up behind you and begins to hassle you. I just love looking in the mirror at their face as they quickly learn the old car that was in their way and is now quickly disappearing still has a wicked bite.
Absolutely love this sentiment and wholly agree with it and understand you. I may be the youngest XJ8 owner in the forum, and while it has been a hassle working on mine, it's also been a pleasure. When I first got here lots of fellars were advising me to sell it and get a more modern, more reliable car. Even family members and friends objected. I disagreed. If I wanted a car, it was gonna be an XJ8.

I live in South California in the Los Angeles area, and these cars are getting rarer by the day. Even as recent as two years ago (when I first saw one and was inclined to investigate), you would still see one on the road around once every couple weeks. Its been months at this point and I haven't seen a single x308 anywhere out here (save mine).

I absolutely love my car, and as mentioned before, it is a pain to fix, but to me it's absolutely worth it. She stands out over all cars anywhere and pleases the eye of everyone from teens to older folks. I don't use my car for attention, but seeing people love it warms my heart. I'll probably never sell it and just LS swap once this engine gives out. Until then, I'm proud to own one of these beauties and wish only to preserve her.

May these cars exist for as long as possible,

-Eric N.

The following users liked this post:
eliotb (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:35 PM

but I would still prefer a world where more people express themselves through their car choices. Or maybe they do. Maybe a lot of people are just the human embodiment of dull, grey sedans
Interesting quote there. I personally believe you are right. People don't seem to have much taste in anything anymore. Everyone owns the same phone, same house, same car, etc. To me it's still very important to embody who you are as a person in the things you surround yourself with. Standing out is important to me. Not because I want attention, but because being "me" matters to me.

eliotb (01-25-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B

We drive the last, and the BEST.
Aye. 🍻

Old 01-25-2024, 03:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnunez

May these cars exist for as long as possible,

-Eric N.
They will last as long as either, ....we are able to financially support the maintenance, or
we are "hands-on" enough to keep up with the deterioration of 20+ year old parts.

eliotb (01-26-2024)
Old 01-27-2024, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I can't say I don't like standing out a little by driving weird cars, but I would still prefer a world where more people express themselves through their car choices.
This is a pretty good description of my vehicular ownership and history, I tend to buy rarer cars that stand out a little. Everything I’ve owned before and currently own stands out for being unique in some way, even my daily driver Volvo is the rare XC version of which you don’t see as many of.

The only downside to this desire to be different is, as I mentioned in the first post, they do attract attention. It can be pretty difficult to enjoy a drive in one of these cars without being harassed. I cannot take my Triumph out anywhere without having people constantly giving it attention, worse when you park anywhere. We took her out last summer for an evening drive and we stopped off at the top of a hill where there’s always an ice cream van. But as my wife and I sat on a bench trying to enjoy our deserts, we had a constant stream of people who’d seen me turn up coming over and talking to me rather than just giving us the respect and appreciating the car from a distance. I was still chewing the last bits of my ice cream cone as we drove away.

But as I also mentioned, the Jag is different. It does attract attention but it also commands respect. People do look at it when I park up but they keep their distance, they don’t immediately rush over and bombard me with comments. If they want a look they tend to wait for me to walk away, it’s very rare I get people bothering me the moment I arrive anywhere.

One thing I have become aware of in recent times is how low down I feel in the Jag, it used to be a big car but now it’s almost dwarfed by what are the small cars of todays market. My neighbour drives a Peugeot 3008 which is a crossover model based on Peugeot’s 308 medium sized car similar to a Ford Focus, this is a lot taller and somewhat wider than the Jag. He even said the other day “Where you first moved in and had that silver Jag I used to think they were massive. But that one looks smaller for some reason.” He may be right, but mine is better looking, a lot faster and is likely more roomier inside.

Grace, Space and Pace indeed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
eliotb (01-27-2024), Ken Cantor (01-27-2024)