XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Starter engine or electrical ? Or both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Starter engine or electrical ? Or both?

Today my XJR 2002 refused to start. Ofcourse after a short drive to the store where I had to leave it behind.

I suspect an electrical issue. All systems are working. Starter engine is still making an attempt.
Red battery light is on.I tried jumpstarting without any result.
During the past 2 or 3 days I have been hearing a grindind noise when starting the car. I suspect it was the starter engine. Car would still start fine and run smooth
i had the exact same problem 1 month ago. Battery was dead and replaced which solved the problem also the starter engine kept being noisy.

Outside temperature is normal (spain).

Any idea what might be going on? Especially would like to know steps and order to approach the problem.
Can there be a relation between a broken starter and a draining battery?
Can a battery or charging issue cause the starter to make a grinding noise?

any help is appreciated

Old 01-29-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Two things to check:
  1. Battery voltage across the terminals with a voltmeter. Should be a minimum of 12.6 volts for normal functioning of all systems.
  2. Fuel pressure at the fuel rail on the engine. Fuel pressure on the supercharged cars should be roughly 300 kPa at idle and 500 kPa at wide open throttle.
The procedure for testing the fuel pressure on the X308 is attached.

Attached Files
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I am pretty sure the starter motor is gone. Just not sure what part.

When I returned to my car with multimeters and a spare battery, I decided to first just give it another try. The starter sounded like it was making a half a turn and then stopped. Like it would when your battery is low. I decided to hold the ignition key turned for a couple of sec longer to see what would happen. Surprise! After 1 or 2 seconds, the starter suddenly came in motion. It seemed to have great dificculty turning, but finally was able to get the car started. Now I heard a rattling sound (like marbles in a kitchen mixer). After 30 seconds the sound disappeared.

After I parked the car back home, I turned it off and tried to restart. I can hear the starter spinning, but it is not doing anything. I guess something has broken off (which probably must have been bent, twisted or stuck in the first place).
Anyone any idea what parts may need to be replaced? Is it just the starter motor? Or are there other parts that may have been gone?

Old 10-18-2021, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,861 Posts

don't waste any more time with that starter. Take it back and tell them it is dead. When i needed to replace the power window motor in my van, I went to O'Reilly and got one. Dead.
Took it back got another. Dead.
2 more, Dead.
The FIFTH motor worked finally.

How much did you pay for it? Get a refund and order a High Torque starter from British starters.com.