XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Starting problems with Jaguar XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems with Jaguar XJ8

Hi all. I'm having intermittent problems with starting my Jaguar XJ8 3.2 (2000).
Most of the time there are no problems, but occasionally I try and start the car and have the following problem: on initial turn of the key, it fires up and immediately dies. On second turn of the key, I have to keep it cranking for some while before it fires. When it does fire, it's running rough and I have to sit with the revs high for a short while (15-20 seconds) before it clears and then runs normally. Subsequent starts are normal. Doesn't seem to matter if weather is cold or hot, wet or dry, etc. It's totally random and very intermittent. Please can any one help?
Thank you all 😀

Old 02-04-2017, 06:39 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum JasonXJ8,

Give me a permanent fault rather than an intermittent one any day - they are so much easier to resolve.

There are many possibilities. For logical troubleshooting you really need to start by getting a scanner on it to check for stored or pending DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

As it's a Powertrain issue, you don't need anything too fancy (as in £££'s) to read the Pxxxx codes. Something as simple as the TorquePro app for Android or a basic scantool will suffice.

If you do get the codes read, post the actual codes back here (not what anyone says they mean) as generic code lookups are often very misleading with Jaguars.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
JasonXJ8 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,354 Likes on 928 Posts

That will be a hard nut to crack, but we can try...
​​​​​​
​My very first thought is an electric disruption, with a reset of the ecu, hence the rough idle before it settles, or a fuel supply interuption.

But that is just a guess, as mentioned, get at least a obd2 reader (I swear with my ELM and the program Torque on my smartphone), and collect some engine codes.

Last edited by ericjansen; 02-04-2017 at 08:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JasonXJ8 (02-04-2017)