XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

steering column issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default steering column issues

So, the new 02 XJ Sport is great so far, but...

Steering wheel does not move up, down, in, or out with steering column control knob, horn does not work, steering wheel radio controls do not work, turn signal makes no sound when activated. Haven't tested the cruise control yet. I'm thinking there is something amiss with the wiring in the steering column??? Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks

Paul

Old 10-11-2009, 05:41 AM

I was out on the freeway yesterday for about an hour and had a chance to try using the cruise control. As I suspected, none of those controls worked either. So, nothing on the steering column works except the turn signal stalk and the wiper stalk. Suggestions, please.

Thanks

Paul

Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 AM
DBX
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a copy of the wiring diagram that may assist you in your examination. Obviously you want to check connectors directly under the column and "A" pillar, and when testing for voltages, use a DVOM. I will say this upon examination of the ground of all of those circuits, (and the only one common denominator to all of those circuits specifically) and that is they all terminate at the same ground point. FC17R which is the EMS bulkhead ground stud on the center right side of the vehicle under the dash area. It's location can be found in the diagram provided.

The PDF is too large to upload, so I will place it on a website to obtain, but will not be there forever...save a copy locally

http://ocu-stars.okcu.edu/dbox/jfj2002en.pdf

Last edited by DBX; 10-11-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM

DBX,

Thanks for the information. I saved the PDF as I'm sure it will come in handy many times over.

Paul

Old 10-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

This is a total guess, but something related to the body processor control module? From what you said, and what the diagram shows. Possibly bad module, or bad connection.

Again, just guessing.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
DBX

Originally Posted by SuperSport
This is a total guess, but something related to the body processor control module? From what you said, and what the diagram shows. Possibly bad module, or bad connection.

Again, just guessing.
SS, when I first starting looking at the circuits, many of them do pass through the BCM to operate, however, the cruise and radio controls do not. Seeing that those also are dead, it would lead me to back to the common denominator, and that's the right side tab of the FC17 ground stud. If it were mine, I would provide a temporary ground wire, back probed into SW1-5 or SW2-5 (black wire/pink stripe) (SW2 6-WAY JST / BLACK - CENTER OF STEERING WHEEL) and press the horn to see if the horn blew. If it did I would bet good money that either FC17 was loose, or the right side tab was damaged, wire cut, or the FCS28 splice had failed inside the harness.

Paul, let us know what happens after examining the FC17 ground.

Last edited by DBX; 10-12-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by DBX
SS, when I first starting looking at the circuits, many of them do pass through the BCM to operate, however, the cruise and radio controls do not. Seeing that those also are dead, it would lead me to back to the common denominator, and that's the right side tab of the FC17 ground stud. If it were mine, I would provide a temporary ground wire, back probed into SW1-5 or SW2-5 (black wire/pink stripe) (SW2 6-WAY JST / BLACK - CENTER OF STEERING WHEEL) and press the horn to see if the horn blew. If it did I would bet good money that either FC17 was loose, or the right side tab was damaged, wire cut, or the FCS28 splice had failed inside the harness.

Paul, let us know what happens after examining the FC17 ground.
Very Nice observation! Sounds like you may have located the problem...

Old 10-13-2009, 05:15 AM

After spending a few minutes looking under the dash and realizing that I would have to dismantle a lot to get to the wiring, I took the car to our friendly neighborhood Jaguar garage. The wiring problem was an easy enough fix for them, although it would not have been for me. The broken wire was under the airbag which was removed to fix the problem. That's as much detail as I got when I picked the car up. I also had trashed front brake pads and rotors due to poor brake maintenance from the previous owner. Fortunately there were no other major issues. The owner of the garage told me that no XJ's prior to 2004 had the metal tensioners installed in the engine from the factory, and that I would need to have the valve covers pulled to check the condition of mine soon, since I have just over 100k miles on the car. I have read numerous posts saying that any car with post August 01 build date has the metal tensioners, so I'm a bit confused about that. Anyone care to enlighten me? The total bill for new brake pads, rotors and a fully functioning steering column was under $800, so I felt like I didn't do too badly on the purchase price of the car. Even the garage owner was surprised at what I paid for the car. Now if I can just get my 07 XKR back front the dealer I'll be really happy. It should be ready to pick up today or tomorrow.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Regarding the tensioners hughey, either do a search or start a separate thread asking this specific question.

Glad the steering wheel is fixed!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
DBX

Paul, yup it's buried in there for sure....glad to hear all is working again!