XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Steering improvment XJ-XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering improvment XJ-XJR?

Hello! Have had many thoughts regarding what is in my mind missing to transform this sleeper, to not just a beuitifull dragster/chesterfield sofa, but to a sharp tool for also cornering. My car is a XJR with CATS.
(Basicly, I think the biggest issue is that my last car was a Alfa 156 with SP3 package. Very frim indeed, but also quite ok on motorway.)
I have read as much as I can find and as far as I understand this is what is normally done:
-New bushes or power flex equiv on fwd lower/upper arms+roller bars
Please! Any input on this from somebody who has tested this! Is the differnece really noticable between fresh org rubber and polyuretan ones?
-I think on my particular car that steering is much to less informative. It's more or less dead.
Is this how they felt when new? Input from experinced viewers ?

-Tried mounting solid subframe mounts, getting rid of the cracking rubber thingys (yes mine are as well )

-And least but not last, have anybody tried to reduce the extreme large ratio between steering and reaction, hence change steering rack as whole or just internals to reduce number of rev for lock to lock. Maybe by going for a straight ratio rack instead of present dynamic with high ratio in centre an low towards ends.

I hope this can open up to some really serious intressting discussions. I plan to get in contact with ZF to see if they could dig out an internal rack that would fit the housing and pinon of org steering rack, maybe somebody else has allread done this....

Cheers!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

There has been some talk in the past about disabling the dynamic boost circuit on the power steering system. It is as simple as disabling a circuit. But, you must be cognizant of the effect of doing so.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by plums
There has been some talk in the past about disabling the dynamic boost circuit on the power steering system. It is as simple as disabling a circuit. But, you must be cognizant of the effect of doing so.
Thanks! Well, yes that would as far as I understand reduce servo assistance to minimum, but should make a fault code also maybe. Will this make the steering more direct? Hardly, but I will triy it just for fun, it's as far as I can see only a connection on rack to remove physically.

Any other experince from upgradig handling???

Old 02-03-2012, 06:45 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

There won't be a fault code if you disconnect the power steering connector on the rack...you can see it on the left side of the car looking down the side of the engine to the rack...ive been meaning to do it as I've heard it improves steering response quite a bit...on aside note I've replaced all my bushings front and rear and that made a big difference on cornering...I don't have CATS and am pretty happy with it

Old 02-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

My car originally had the steering mod fitted from Paramount, developed for the XKR....since the re-build I haven't replaced it, but I've fitted a switch ready for it.

The remote wiring is connected up to the steering relay, so it can be turned on and off in the cabin.

I used to use it a lot, usually on my way home from work, I'd pop it in sport and deactivate the assisted steering (which is way too light compared to the BMW's I use for day to day driving).
It gives more weight, and feels much better at higher speeds, a man's steering.

Racing green sell the kit now for around £50, Paramount charged £250 to fit it I understand.

This is the only steering tweak for our cars. You could solid mount the rack, by removing the rubber bushes and fit custom aluminium items. But I doubt you would feel any difference.

What exactly are you looking for in the steering? a quicker rack will cause issues, if you want it to handle like an M3 track car, you won't be able to achieve it.
I recommend the poly bush kit for the front.

Last edited by Sean B; 02-03-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Would'nt there be a lot more wear on the pinion and rack when you disable the
powersteering connection ?

As i understand it , the powersteering fluid helps pushing the rack without loading the rack/pinion combi.

Image of the ZF servotronic system as an example;

Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sean B
My car originally had the steering mod fitted from Paramount, developed for the XKR....since the re-build I haven't replaced it, but I've fitted a switch ready for it.

The remote wiring is connected up to the steering relay, so it can be turned on and off in the cabin.

I used to use it a lot, usually on my way home from work, I'd pop it in sport and deactivate the assisted steering (which is way too light compared to the BMW's I use for day to day driving).
It gives more weight, and feels much better at higher speeds, a man's steering.

Racing green sell the kit now for around £50, Paramount charged £250 to fit it I understand.

This is the only steering tweak for our cars. You could solid mount the rack, by removing the rubber bushes and fit custom aluminium items. But I doubt you would feel any difference.

What exactly are you looking for in the steering? a quicker rack will cause issues, if you want it to handle like an M3 track car, you won't be able to achieve it.
I recommend the poly bush kit for the front.

First of all, Thanks for the feedback! Interesting stuff with the before and after change of bushings. It would be extremly frustrating to put in all that work changing bushing just to find out that it's still something missing....
What am I looking for, well, it does not need to be a M3 track day car, but I want it to handel to match that massive engine. It seems as I should plan to change bushings, I am tempted to try to fix mount the fwd subframe mounts, than use std rubber units due to price, or poly ones if wallet agrees in a couple of month. Defenetly try to disconnect the servotronic actuator, but also change steering colum, as this lower cv joint is with exessive play. But, as I will be needing to do this outdoor, it will need to wait until spring is here, as we have about 10deg below frezing point now...
Thank you all for the input!
/Per in Sweden

Old 02-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I disabled my speed assisted steering and love it...she handles and drives so much better...is itri right that this could damage the steering rack? There is still some form of power steering occurring although it is not that noticable..

Old 02-22-2012, 02:01 AM
JKo
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

So it's just a matter of disconnecting a wire going to the steering rack? Got to try this after the winter is over...

Old 02-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by pdog2000
I disabled my speed assisted steering and love it...she handles and drives so much better...is itri right that this could damage the steering rack? There is still some form of power steering occurring although it is not that noticable..
So when did you do this? Please elaborate further on the end result

As far as wear is concerned, the low speed system is a "boost" beyond what is normal. So, the gears could face more pressure. However, that would be at the lowest speeds such as when parking. If you are always careful to be in motion while steering then the extra strain should be negligible. Steering the wheels while stopped is the worst thing you can do to a steering system.

Last edited by plums; 02-22-2012 at 02:34 AM.