XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Steering knoking sound, steering column lower part

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 05:35 AM
Received 119 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Steering knoking sound, steering column lower part

Hello
As I have knoking sound coming from the steering and the lower U joint is rusty and steering is therefore a bit angular I need to replace the lower part of steering column. TSB says that I need PAS line too. I haven't understood why ? Especially when tsb says that if newest lower section is installed, then pas line is only what to do.
I've greased U joint couple of times and it works for few months at a time.

TSB 211-06

Old 05-31-2020, 08:46 AM
Received 8,150 Likes on 4,916 Posts

I would replace the column first and see if that fixes your issue.

I have done many XJ/XK column replacements but did not replace the PAS line and the column fixed all the knocking noises.

After the column repair, all the knocking disappeared.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

What motorcarman said, replace the lower steering column, and make sure to get the newer style mentioned in the TSB with the rubber coupler. The older style lower columns with the sliding "splined" interface tend to develop play in that part over time, hence the TSB. MNE9501AC or MNE9501AD will both work I believe.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I would replace the column first and see if that fixes your issue.

I have done many XJ/XK column replacements but did not replace the PAS line and the column fixed all the knocking noises.

After the column repair, all the knocking disappeared.

Yes. Thank you. I keep it well greased this summer and order it during winter.

Old 05-31-2020, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Vauxi
TSB says that I need PAS line too. I haven't understood why ?
The original PS return line (rack to the connection to the PS cooler hose) was all metal and I have seen some mentions that it, on some cars, developed cracks on one of its sharper bends causing fluid leak. This was probably due to vibration/movement that affected this rigid line. Or, perhaps, the rigid line was transmitting noise. Whatever the reason, the revised return line includes a rubber hose section for flexibility and noise/vibration isolation.

It appears that Jaguar did not issue a separate recall for this but "slipped-in" the replacement of this pipe in the TSB for the lower steering column as a "whilst you are in there" thing. Check whether your return pipe is still the all metal one or perhaps already replaced with the revised type. If it is all metal but you see no leaks (and you have no more noise when you replace the column part), you can leave it in. On my 1999 Super V8, the return line is still all metal and I have no issues (75k miles car).

Old 06-03-2020, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
The original PS return line (rack to the connection to the PS cooler hose) was all metal and I have seen some mentions that it, on some cars, developed cracks on one of its sharper bends causing fluid leak. This was probably due to vibration/movement that affected this rigid line. Or, perhaps, the rigid line was transmitting noise. Whatever the reason, the revised return line includes a rubber hose section for flexibility and noise/vibration isolation.

It appears that Jaguar did not issue a separate recall for this but "slipped-in" the replacement of this pipe in the TSB for the lower steering column as a "whilst you are in there" thing. Check whether your return pipe is still the all metal one or perhaps already replaced with the revised type. If it is all metal but you see no leaks (and you have no more noise when you replace the column part), you can leave it in. On my 1999 Super V8, the return line is still all metal and I have no issues (75k miles car).

Yes! Thank you. Mine is metal too and 145 tkm driven.

Old 06-03-2020, 11:45 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Vauxi
I keep it well greased this summer and order it during winter.
My 00 XJ8 has developed some knocking sounds over time. Could you explain what I have to grease and which grease is ideal? Have you made a picture from the location?

The following users liked this post:
cliveb (06-03-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 AM

What causes the angular steering feel and what is even found when turnin steering from wheels when the car is on lift or jack stands. Is coming from the lowest steering aluminium U joint. The joint what connects the steering shaft to the steering rack. U joint is not greasable unless you basically broke it's seals. Wich is okay when the joint is allready broken by rust. Usually rusty end of U joint is clearly visible. What I did and have done on few other car brands with same problem is stretch or bend outwards the small red/orange rubber seal with very small screwdriver and spray wd40 or similiar. Spray stuff is a must as they are thin and you cant get U joint out of the car easily. You have to do this 4 times as there is 4 seals and possible dry and or rusty bearings in the u joint. After wd40 has done it's job. I have been using more greasy spray stuff.

In the picture I have just pushed steering shaft inwards out from the steering rack and the particular U joint is there. From this point it is very easy to feel what direction is stiff. If you are going to pull out the shaft as I have in the picture. Remember to mark U joint position to the steering rack shaft. In these cars it will go in in any position...

I'm guessing that the knoking sound comes from the U joint as it is broken when rusty and there is then some play in it. But I think it is more likely coming from the axle shaft crash slide. What you cant fix.

Last edited by Vauxi; 06-04-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

It may be possible to measure the UJ and find an aftermarket replacement.

The crash slide is the part I was referring to, in the TSB, and motorcarman mentioned as well. That's the part that develops play usually. The renewed lower columns have a different design which removes that part and solves the play.