XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Steering wheel buttons & cruise control resume

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel buttons & cruise control resume

Just wondering it anyone had any ideas for my 1998 XJ8L. the lights on all the buttons around my steering wheel are out, making it near impossible to use at night and although my cruise control works, the resume button does not, if I hit my break, I have to redo the cruise. Any ideas at all?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain that the XJ does not have illumination on the steering wheel buttons. I know my 2002 XJR steering wheel buttons have never illuminated, and it was only 5 years old with 40,000 miles on it when I got it. As far as some of the buttons not functioning that is a bit more troublesome, could be a fuse or something

good luck

Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 111 Likes on 55 Posts

I don't have illuminated buttons either.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

The Steering wheel buttons do NOT light up. The only switches away from the dash that light are:

1. Window Buttons-many don't light because passengers slam the doors shut.
2. J-Gate shift pattern, Cruise Control Master Switch and Sport Mode Switch
3. Interior light switches on the roof console.

Over time you get to know where and what your steering wheel switches do. That is why they are shaped differently. Perhaps in development it was felt that ligting them might have been distracting or overkill?

As for your resume it might be a simple case of the pedal switch being sticky. Check out my thread on a similar thing here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38998
It is a real easy fix if it is the pedal switches.

Hope this helps. S.

Last edited by Stu 1986; 02-20-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah mine don't either.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 8,180 Likes on 4,934 Posts

I posted on this subject several weeks ago. You DO NOT want a positive feed to the steering cancelation module (cassette reel, clockspring etc.) unless the airbag is to be deployed. ANY stray current from some power source (like lighting) may cause the airbag to deploy. You would be VERY angry if you turned on the interior backlighting and the steering wheel EXPLODED in your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the steering wheel controls are EARTH/GROUND operated EXCEPT the airbag.

bob gauff

Last edited by motorcarman; 02-21-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I posted on this subject several weeks ago. You DO NOT want a positive feed to the steering cancelation module (cassette reel, clockspring etc.) unless the airbag is to be deployed. ANY stray current from some power source (like lighting) may cause the airbag to deploy. You would be VERY angry if you turned on the interior backlighting and the steering wheel EXPLODED in your face!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff
Bob:

Not sure that I'm understanding what you're saying, plenty of cars/trucks have lighted steering wheel controls such as both my Explorer and Suburban.
For that they do have a + feed that go through the cassette

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob gauff
Every other car I own has a steering wheel airbag AND lights in the steering control buttons - they either use (one would assume) a different clock spring/cassette or slip rings for the buttons... that said, the XJ's do not.

The XJ steering wheel radio function switches DO see a voltage - applied through a single wire, and several series resistors - the head unit senses the current passing when one of the switches shorts one of the resistors to ground - which resistor is grounded determines the current flow measured and, therefore, the function that is selected.

The cruise buttons work in a similar fashion but use two wires, with two parallel resistor/switch pairs to set the current flow when pressed...

MWade - the Resume button shares its control line with the Cancel button - test the cancel button - if it works, then most likely the Resume switch is at fault - dirty or corroded contacts perhaps. If neither the Resume nor Cancel works, then its most likely the line that leads from the buttons to the engine module - perhaps in the cassette, which would be a pain, or with luck, somewhere more accessible. Look at figure 4.3 of the wiring diagram (top, left of center) for more detail. In your case and year, it is a Slate (dark gray) with Green stripe wire that goes from the steering column to the Engine Control Module.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-22-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control not working

Hi everyone, I have always had good luck with everyones support on here. THANX again.
My cruise control does not work. Im going on a trip to Chicago and really could use the cruise on the way there. 1998 XJ8 4.0

Any suggestions?

Last edited by louisgar; 07-20-2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: adding model
Old 07-20-2012, 08:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by louisgar
Hi everyone, I have always had good luck with everyones support on here. THANX again.
My cruise control does not work. Im going on a trip to Chicago and really could use the cruise on the way there. 1998 XJ8 4.0

Any suggestions?
Has it recently failed or has it never worked since you've had the vehicle?

The more information you give, the better the answers you get.

Graham