XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stereo Amplifier and Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Stereo Amplifier and Speakers

Hello,

You may have seen my recent post regarding an AUX-in for the radio in my 2000 XJR. I have some other goals with my system so I decided to start a new thread.

1) I would like to upgrade/replace the factory amplifier.
2) I would like to replace the two tweeters, front-door speakers, and rear speakers--including (possibly) the subwoofer. I am thinking about replacing them with the very wonderful Focal 130 KR models (http://www.focal-america.com) but I am still in the process of auditioning speakers.

So, this raises some obvious questions:
A) I have not yet even looked at the amp, but I believe it is mounted in the trunk next to the DVD navigation system and CD changer. Does anyone have any experience using an "after-market" amp in this setup? Or did Jaguar make it virtually impossible to add-to/replace the amp?

B) Has anyone here had success replacing the speakers? Are there any useful installation guides available? I am not so concerned about the door speakers or rear speakers, but those tweeters in the front pillars are going to be, er, difficult (for me) to get to. For some reason I envision that Jaguar engineers require that the steering wheel and air-bag be removed in order to get to the tweeters (okay, that's an exaggeration--but I think you get my point)... Any guides/helpful tips on how to do a DYI speaker replacement would be most appreciated. I would rather do it myself that have a 19-year-old installer with a chainsaw do it.

C) A colleague of mine who owns a Toyota Supra has been urging me to get the service manuals to my vehicle--including detailed wiring diagrams. Are wiring diagrams that detail the audio system available? I don't mean just showing a box for CD Changer and a box for Head Unit; I mean a manual that goes into specific circuit diagrams regarding Ai-Net and colors of wires, etc... Where do I find/purchase this information?

As always, thank you for any help. If I am the first to go down this path I will gladly document my findings here and share my experience with others. I plan to keep my car for another 10 years or so. The engine is perfect (where is wood when you need it?) but the sound is in need of a Total Makeover.

Cheers,
Jon

Old 02-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Jon

Hunt around on this forum for info on doing the speakers. I think it's been covered before. The only limitation I have heard about on replacing the speakers is that the subwoofer on the rear shelf has to be quite shallow (sorry, don't know the exact dimension) as the fuel tank is underneath it and there's not much room.

The circuit diagrams are here :

http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co..._Reference.htm

I'm not sure if you can upgrade the amp and keep the standard headunit, maybe others can comment on this one. This link is kind of relevant (XK8 audio upgrade) and an aftermarket amp was used here. http://p4-8057.uk2net.com/Jag/default.htm

Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi SARC,

Wow, this is really great information! I will review it carefully. Both links looks great but the wiring diagrams are superb.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Jon