XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Still driving with gearbox fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 05:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Still driving with gearbox fault

My recently acquired 2001 XJ8 came with a bad ZF transmission, but I won't be able to get a slot in my own garage to pull the trans until August or September. I've been commuting 13 miles, mostly highway to my workplace, and have developed strategies to avoid the need for 1st gear, and keep the shifter in 2 instead of drive, and it's been great. Always flashing "gearbox fault/restricted performance" at me, but it cruises like a dream at 60-70 MPH, the sound system is awesome, and I'm commuting in a Jag instead of my old pickup truck with heavy tool boxes. (MPG is double in the XJ8). Question is, will the trans barf one day and leave me stranded, or is it just the A can, which is already toast? Anybody else put mileage on a cooked ZF?

Pete

Old 06-13-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

No matter where you put the gear selector it will start in first gear. Choosing second just limits it from going into third and above. When the A drum fails you will be in limp home mode and not be able to use any gear below fourth (or is it fifth?), making for very slow acceleration. Broken pieces may cause damage to other parts, but if you are going to replace the transmission you could chance it.

Now the question I should have started with: What are the symptoms of the bad transmission?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

I just realized that was your first post. Welcome to the forum. When you have time please visit the new member area and introduce yourself and your car:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 06-17-2014, 02:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the advice and the nudge. When first fired up, rev counter climbs near 2000 before the trans engages, usually with a slam in the back, sometimes twice, sometimes with the rumble-strip vibration I've seen in other posts. I usually go soft on the accelerator to avoid the slam, and the engagement is less dramatic, but the"gearbox fault" message comes anyway. Interestingly, today when I was almost all the way to work, I got stopped short by a sudden yellow turning red, and when it was finally my turn to go, it stepped out smartly instead of the usual leisurely pulling away with restricted performance. If Only I could figure out how to make that happen on command.

Old 06-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

This may be a complete red herring, so apologies if it is. When my alternator failed and output high voltage, I had a load of faults come up and had the restricted performance, starting in fourth and so on. May be worht checking out.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteK812
My recently acquired 2001 XJ8 came with a bad ZF transmission, but I won't be able to get a slot in my own garage to pull the trans until August or September. I've been commuting 13 miles, mostly highway to my workplace, and have developed strategies to avoid the need for 1st gear, and keep the shifter in 2 instead of drive, and it's been great. Always flashing "gearbox fault/restricted performance" at me, but it cruises like a dream at 60-70 MPH, the sound system is awesome, and I'm commuting in a Jag instead of my old pickup truck with heavy tool boxes. (MPG is double in the XJ8). Question is, will the trans barf one day and leave me stranded, or is it just the A can, which is already toast? Anybody else put mileage on a cooked ZF?

Pete
It's only a matter of time before you lose all the forward gears, I promise. I've changed over 20 of these MZF boxes for the same failure.