XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Still having traction/stability control/abs issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Still having traction/stability control/abs issues

I'm still having problems with traction/stability control/abs lights on my 98 XJ8. About a year ago, all of these lights illuminated so I resoldered the joints in the ECU, which solved the problem. Earlier this summer, the same problem returned but re-soldering didn't help. Having the module rebuilt by ATE also had no effect. When the car reaches the 12+ mph threshold, the ABS light comes on, as does the TC/SC error message on the dash display. The lights do NOT come on at start-up, only after reaching the speed threshold.

While the car was at a shop this summer for a transmission problem, they read codes and found the C1095 code. They also said they got an error message that said the ABS sensors were "not in agreement", with one side showing the car was going 40 mph, while the other said the car was stationary (which it was).

I have followed the diagnostic procedures shown in other posts with the following results. Checking for current at the three relevant fuse locations showed 12.11 volts at each fuse with ignition on but engine off. Checking ohms at the sensor showed 1240-ish at all four sensors with sensors disconnected from respective harnesses. Checking sensor resistance through the harness at the module end of the harness showed a range from 1082 to 1088 ohms. Finally, checking resistance at the pump yielded a reading of 880 ohms.

Today I performed a "hard reset" which had no effect at all - lights are still on. I have also cleaned all sensors plus the sensor rings. One was a bit dirty, but cleaning had no effect, either. Front wheel bearings are one year old, with maybe 9K on them. I checked rear bearings for play and found no movement at all, either with hands at 6 & 12 or 9 & 3 o'clock.

So, from my reading of the material, it appears that the C1095 code and my readings of the ABS sensors and pump indicate the module is still the problem. Is there anything I have missed? I have tried to be thorough but want to see if there's anything else I need to check. Thanks for any help.

Greg

Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To confirm that the pump motor is not bad unplug it from the abs/tccm ecu and put 12 volts to the plug to briefly spin the motor.(even though you checked the resistance previously) If the motor works then the ecm is causing the C1095 code. I had the same problem about a year ago and a reman'd ecu fixed everything.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by exiledrebel
I'm still having problems with traction/stability control/abs lights on my 98 XJ8. About a year ago, all of these lights illuminated so I resoldered the joints in the ECU, which solved the problem. Earlier this summer, the same problem returned but re-soldering didn't help. Having the module rebuilt by ATE also had no effect. When the car reaches the 12+ mph threshold, the ABS light comes on, as does the TC/SC error message on the dash display. The lights do NOT come on at start-up, only after reaching the speed threshold.

While the car was at a shop this summer for a transmission problem, they read codes and found the C1095 code. They also said they got an error message that said the ABS sensors were "not in agreement", with one side showing the car was going 40 mph, while the other said the car was stationary (which it was).

I have followed the diagnostic procedures shown in other posts with the following results. Checking for current at the three relevant fuse locations showed 12.11 volts at each fuse with ignition on but engine off. Checking ohms at the sensor showed 1240-ish at all four sensors with sensors disconnected from respective harnesses. Checking sensor resistance through the harness at the module end of the harness showed a range from 1082 to 1088 ohms. Finally, checking resistance at the pump yielded a reading of 880 ohms.

Today I performed a "hard reset" which had no effect at all - lights are still on. I have also cleaned all sensors plus the sensor rings. One was a bit dirty, but cleaning had no effect, either. Front wheel bearings are one year old, with maybe 9K on them. I checked rear bearings for play and found no movement at all, either with hands at 6 & 12 or 9 & 3 o'clock.

So, from my reading of the material, it appears that the C1095 code and my readings of the ABS sensors and pump indicate the module is still the problem. Is there anything I have missed? I have tried to be thorough but want to see if there's anything else I need to check. Thanks for any help.

Greg
If I read our post correctly, your pump motor measured 880 ohms...... that's a problem. That motor should measure around 4 ohms. I would see if you can exercise the motor as markisen mentioned. Sometimes doing that cleans the brushes and armature so the fault will clear.

Cheers,

Old 10-13-2011, 03:37 PM

Steve - Thanks for pointing that out. When I read the diagnostic info, I remembered it as 4K ohms, so I wasn't looking at the pump as the problem. I will go back to check my work. Thanks, this is exactly the kind of "check my math" I was looking for! I will report back ASAP.
Greg

Old 10-14-2011, 12:51 PM

I re-checked resistance on the pump motor. I mis-read the scale last time, so the actual reading was 0.88 ohms. Yesterday the reading was similar - 0.8 ohms on the pump.

I ran a power wire to the pump. It activated and seemed to run normally. So my tentative conclusion is that I've probably over-thought the matter and that the rebuilt control module is STILL the culprit. So I'll return it to the vendor Monday and update on the outcome of that.
Greg

Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 411 Likes on 306 Posts

It will be interesting to find out what the problem is Greg, since this light seems to be a fairly common issue. The first thing I thought when I saw that the light came on at 10-12 MPH was a sensor because the computer apparently checks them out after the wheels start spinning. I have had this problem due to battery condition and/or bad ground/connections, but it looks like you're beyond that.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by exiledrebel
I re-checked resistance on the pump motor. I mis-read the scale last time, so the actual reading was 0.88 ohms. Yesterday the reading was similar - 0.8 ohms on the pump.

I ran a power wire to the pump. It activated and seemed to run normally. So my tentative conclusion is that I've probably over-thought the matter and that the rebuilt control module is STILL the culprit. So I'll return it to the vendor Monday and update on the outcome of that.
Greg
Sure would be nice to know the logged fault code, so we know what the module thinks the fault is.......

Old 10-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Steve, it's the C1095 code. I am only going through all of these diagnostics because I had the module repaired, but the TC/SC and ABS lights are still on. I wanted to verify there wasn't another issue before I sent the module back to the vendor for another repair attempt. I have pretty much concluded that the module wasn't correctly repaired on the first attempt.
Greg