XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

storage for winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool storage for winter

iam planning on put my baby to sleep for the winter. i have no garage,so iam i willbe using a car cover. what eelse would i need to do to perpare her for the long sleep.should i put her up on stands or leave sitting on ground. any helpor advise would be appericated.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I store my 79 Camaro every winter on my driveway. I use a car cover and Sta-bil in the gas. As long as you drive it again once winter is over i've never had any problems with the tires or anything else. Disconnect the battery too if you arent going to start it every so often and perhaps take it inside.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,368 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Good question - I'm due to do the same thing very shortly. I'm storing mine under the car port.
If using a car cover get the one you can just about afford - a high quality one. If it hasn't got a soft inner shell, use a cotton/polyester sheet between it and the car's bodywork, as an ill fitting cover will wreck your paintwork, meaning cut and buff in the spring.....

I'm putting mine on stands. Reason being, to save the tyres from flat spots as I've very low profiles. The stands will be located not on the jacking points, but the hubs to keep the suspension loaded, not extended, as this may cause moisture to get behind the expensive shocks.
Bodywork will have a nice clean application of AutoGlym super resin wax polish before it goes under wraps, same with the wheels before they're bagged up and stored away out of the weather.
Discs will be removed as they're a very expensive set!
No petrol additives, just a full tank of Shell V Power, as this stuff doesn't have ethanol added, and this stuff causes moisture to gather as it's hydroscopic, I saw the effects of this last winter as moisture in the engine, exhaust and no doubt the tank.
Just bought a high quality battery tender, I'm trialing it on a spare battery right now and when the car is stored, it'll be fitted to float charge the battery.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 344 Likes on 298 Posts

I allow the gas tank to run low and then I fill it up with fresh fuel and a small amount of additive.

your battery may run down --- mine are on maintainers. You can get them very cheap today.

Mine are inside -- Personally if mine were outside I would start them occasionally and run the heater if the interior gets funky. You don't need to do anything else. Some people like to overinflate the tires a little