XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

straight pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Default straight pipe

my friend from the shop suggests me to do the "straight pipe" exhaust on my XJR ? what do you think? my friend said I can keep the CAT so I should be able to pass the emission in NYS. hopefully it will unleash some powers from our V8 supercharged

Last edited by vincent661983; 03-08-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

How does your friend suggest passing smog inspection? edit - your edit answers my question... cat is intact.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 03-09-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

I don't know why not try Nameless . They're good at making aftermarket performance parts for Jaguars . I believe they should be making exhaust systems for XJRs too

Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent661983
my friend from the shop suggests me to do the "straight pipe" exhaust ? what do you think?

Straight pipe as in no mufflers? Pretty cool for a couple of weeks and once in a while.

I had straight pipe no mufflers for over a month. Huge fun at first, but I wouldn't want it like that all the time.

As far as smog/emissions go , NY is not yet F*#ked up like CA is in regards to vehicle inspections.

I have no cats and I passed NY emissions inspection.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveM
Straight pipe as in no mufflers? Pretty cool for a couple of weeks and once in a while.

I had straight pipe no mufflers for over a month. Huge fun at first, but I wouldn't want it like that all the time.

As far as smog/emissions go , NY is not yet F*#ked up like CA is in regards to vehicle inspections.

I have no cats and I passed NY emissions inspection.
Wow! Here in Californica if you don't hold your arm up while rubbing your tummy they will fail you. It's gotten really rediculous...

Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Wow! Here in Californica if you don't hold your arm up while rubbing your tummy they will fail you. It's gotten really rediculous...
In Texas, a lawn mower burning straight oil would probably pass.....

Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by burmaz
In Texas, a lawn mower burning straight oil would probably pass.....
Hahaha... Ok, well maybe there's a happy medium.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I had more problems with mechanical issues failing the PA test than the CA smog test. It really is pretty lenient. I heard all the horror stories about CA but you could drive a horse and cart through the specs for 10 yr old cars. Your mileage may vary.

PS. As long as you keep the cat you should pass smog. The mufflers only muffle sound. But I agree the rumble would get old very quickly. People have reported odd droning sounds when they start messing with the mufflers.

Last edited by Dan R; 03-08-2011 at 11:13 PM. Reason: PS
Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dan R
I had more problems with mechanical issues failing the PA test than the CA smog test. It really is pretty lenient. I heard all the horror stories about CA but you could drive a horse and cart through the specs for 10 yr old cars. Your mileage may vary.

PS. As long as you keep the cat you should pass smog. The mufflers only muffle sound. But I agree the rumble would get old very quickly. People have reported odd droning sounds when they start messing with the mufflers.
Yes, my 1966 Mustang had 0 that's ZERO smog requirements (1975 or older). Strange...

But, in California on newer than 1975 vehicles, even the mufflers HAVE to be installed to pass. I even had a car with mufflers, but not the complete tail pipe installed, and that failed me. Tail pipe MUST be installed to OEM Specs.

On my last smog a couple months ago, my current Jag had a small hole worn through the Air Intake (1/8 x 1/32 inch), but I had repaired it with epoxy. The guy called me in and told me he was going to do me a favor and pass my car, but that I had to replace the Air Intake or I could be pulled off the road during a random roadside inspection. He said a repair was not allowed and that they now have people with portable test stations pull you over and randomly test them in California. If you fail, your car is ticketed and you cannot drive it until it is fixed.

Yea, Californicate

Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I have always fancied making the V8 a bit more obvious on my XJ8 but have been thinking about how. I was thinking of removing the rear mufflers only and having OEM sized pipes made to finish the system and complete the look. Either that or going down the old muscle car route of a butterfly valve in the exhaust system and a secret switch to change from purr to growl.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
I have always fancied making the V8 a bit more obvious on my XJ8 but have been thinking about how. I was thinking of removing the rear mufflers only and having OEM sized pipes made to finish the system and complete the look. Either that or going down the old muscle car route of a butterfly valve in the exhaust system and a secret switch to change from purr to growl.
I got rid of it ALL, four cats, two mufflers and two resonators on my '88 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 and it sounds great. Not too loud at lower speeds but sounds like a small plane taking off the runway merging on the freeway......lots of fun~!~!
I ran a half a mile with all this off my 4.2 Inline 6 cylinder on my '87 Jaguar XJ6 and I had a headache before I could think....it was so LOUD at 70 kilometers and hour that I took the car back to the muffler shop and had him put it back on.
For some reason the V12 is quite quiet at 70 kilometers an hour, and at highway speed it is still not that loud.....go figure...???

Old 07-14-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Yes, my 1966 Mustang had 0 that's ZERO smog requirements (1975 or older). Strange...

But, in California on newer than 1975 vehicles, even the mufflers HAVE to be installed to pass. I even had a car with mufflers, but not the complete tail pipe installed, and that failed me. Tail pipe MUST be installed to OEM Specs.

On my last smog a couple months ago, my current Jag had a small hole worn through the Air Intake (1/8 x 1/32 inch), but I had repaired it with epoxy. The guy called me in and told me he was going to do me a favor and pass my car, but that I had to replace the Air Intake or I could be pulled off the road during a random roadside inspection. He said a repair was not allowed and that they now have people with portable test stations pull you over and randomly test them in California. If you fail, your car is ticketed and you cannot drive it until it is fixed.

Yea, Californicate
In Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada's biggest freakin' welfare/nanny province if you fart in your car you will fail emissions testing, they are as bad as Californicate. I"m glad I live in Alberta where the rednecks rule and emissions testing is a joke!~!!!
:i con_moped: Of course I love my straight pipes, and the nanny states/provinces can huff my exhaust~!~!

Last edited by jetlag700; 07-14-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I am a TX vehicle inspector and you have to have a muffler device. Also all cars 1984+ have to have a catalytic converter, although I am sure you can find people who will let you slip under the door. In my neck of the woods, and most of the counties in TX, the emissions system only undergoes a visual inspection to make sure all components are in place. You go to Dallas or one of like 12 counties in TX that do emissions testing and the inspections cost $62.50, whereas one at my shop is $14.50. I get all kinds of people driving from one of the neighboring counties trying to skirt the extra $50, they get turned down too!!

The following users liked this post:
jetlag700 (07-22-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you CAN delete the cats and go straight through. Look up O2 Simulators. As far as sound goes, I would think it would be loud as hell.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

You won't like it. Kids at my high sachool did that; the primary result is an exhaust that goes "wub-wub-wub-wub" incessantly at high volume. And then it is sloppy throaty V8 noise at higher RPMs. Too loud, and too unrefined for a Jag. I would love a Borla system though, nice muscle-ey sound.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:31 PM

Oh come on now! Someone has to do a glasspack!

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by ixj8it
Oh come on now! Someone has to do a glasspack!
You've been nominated! Please report back with the results

Old 07-22-2011, 10:35 AM

I am a TX vehicle inspector and you have to have a muffler device. Also all cars 1984+ have to have a catalytic converter, although I am sure you can find people who will let you slip under the door. In my neck of the woods, and most of the counties in TX, the emissions system only undergoes a visual inspection to make sure all components are in place. You go to Dallas or one of like 12 counties in TX that do emissions testing and the inspections cost $62.50, whereas one at my shop is $14.50. I get all kinds of people driving from one of the neighboring counties trying to skirt the extra $50, they get turned down too!!
This is not Texas my friend...lol....we don't have to have mufflers....or cats~!~!
Love it, and my car is not loud, just purrs a little louder than usual, still not loud like all the big pickup trucks here WITH mufflers...go figure eh?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 AM

I dont think it would sound too bad if someone took out the stock muffler (or resonator?) in the middle of the car and put in an x pipe. IIRC, there are 2 more mufflers at the rear to help keep things quiet. There is only one way to find out!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:25 AM

I dont think it would sound too bad if someone took out the stock muffler (or resonator?) in the middle of the car and put in an x pipe. IIRC, there are 2 more mufflers at the rear to help keep things quiet. There is only one way to find out!

I'm going to have a friend of mine take some videos of me driving by on the highway, that way you can see that it is not loud, I deleted all four cats, two mufflers adn two resonators, and it is not loud.
The car also has a high efficiency custom air intake as well, and the computer has been adjusted for fueling and air. The only way I am going to get anyone to believe me is take a video and post it.

Quick Reply: straight pipe