XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Strange beeping..revisited

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure about that one man that could be a lot of things does it sound mechanical or electrical

Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kugelspritzer
I haven't experienced any beeping yet, but I have noticed a random high pitched sound that comes from somewhere. I first noticed it while cruising real slow through heavy downtown traffic. The radio volume was down low and suddenly I hear this high pitch Mmmm. sound. I thought it may have been because I had my hand on the gear selector so I removed my hand from it that didn't make it stop. It's done this several times for no apparent reason. Please help.

Does the "sound" follow Engine RPM or the speed of the car?
Does it dissapear if you turn of the radio or the AC?

If its from the radio it could be a number of things; Generator does high pich whining, ignitionsystem makes more of a crackling sound.

AC system have, part from its own big recirculationfan a tiny fan in the dashboard next to steering coulumn that can make a humming sound... you would normally notice it when fanblades gets dirty and it travels in and out of balance..

Anything in the enginebay that rotates or spin is potential noicesource. A bad bearing somewhere can begin to make noice as a light whining now and then before it turns in to a racket noone can miss.

/E