XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Strong Nauseating Odour While Driving. Coil Packs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 07:04 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Strong Nauseating Odour While Driving. Coil Packs?

Hey Everybody,
Since this morning my 2001 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas (213,000 KM) has been spreading a strong nauseating odour into the interior cabin while driving. I wish I could describe the smell but unfortunately I can't. The odour is there whether or not the fans are blowing. The car hasn't been driving the greatest in the last couple weeks with the occasional engine light coming on. One of the engine lights was, "P0197 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Input." I cleared that code with my reader and it went away. Another code I received quite awhile ago was, "P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)." I cleared this code at the time and it hasn't come back. I haven't had any engine codes to go along with this strong, strong, strong odour. I will not be driving the car until I can get to the bottom of this as I don't think it's safe.

I had one coil pack go in the past (maybe a year or so ago) and the car was shaking vigorously, with a strong odour inside, smoke from under the hood, as well as an engine light telling me the issue. I ordered a new coil pack and it fixed it.

The difference this time is that the car is not shaking, smoking, and there is no engine light, but there is a very foul odour. Even driving with all the windows down it's nauseating. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Last edited by holybananas; 01-31-2016 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Would you describe the smell as any of the following......

Rotten eggs / smelly socks / rotten cabbages
or perhaps a sulphur type or smell maybe?
Is the car hesitant / jerky / juddery and or using more fuel?

The following users liked this post:
holybananas (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM

It's extremely hard to describe the smell. The best way I can describe it is almost an electrical or chemical kind of smell. I was cruising down the highway and thought maybe there was an electrical fire under the hood, so I pulled off and checked. Nothing. The car has had hesitant moments in the last few weeks. There have been times where I'd be at a stop and then I press on the gas to go and the car basically wouldn't do anything and had a moment of feeling powerless, this would only happen for a couple seconds and then it would go. Other times it will drive perfectly fine - which is why I think whatever the problem is could be something slowly failing.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my 99 xjr was doing the same thing , the flex hose was loose on the right cover and i was getting fumes from the engine. had a broken motor mount pulling off hose when engine shifted

Old 02-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by holybananas
It's extremely hard to describe the smell. The best way I can describe it is almost an electrical or chemical kind of smell. I was cruising down the highway and thought maybe there was an electrical fire under the hood, so I pulled off and checked. Nothing. The car has had hesitant moments in the last few weeks. There have been times where I'd be at a stop and then I press on the gas to go and the car basically wouldn't do anything and had a moment of feeling powerless, this would only happen for a couple seconds and then it would go. Other times it will drive perfectly fine - which is why I think whatever the problem is could be something slowly failing.

I'd suggest looking at your Lambda 02 sensors, at least checking them as a possible culprit.
Failing 02 sensors can give the following symptoms
Hesitations / stuttering / jerky...power then no power through the range
Really poor mpg as fuel consumption increases with misfiring or engine that seems to stumble somewhat.

Especially with you mileage I'd suggest these should have been changed at some point?
Different manufacturers recommend different change intervals that can vary between 50k - 90k miles

Not saying that IS your problem, but worth looking into at least to rule them out.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by holybananas

The difference this time is that the car is not shaking, smoking, and there is no engine light, but there is a very foul odour. Even driving with all the windows down it's nauseating. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you
I'd check again for codes, making sure that the reader is compatible with your car. Many are not.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:00 PM

Thank you for the responses, I am going to look into those.

Update: I've realized that the only way the smell is entering the car is if I drive with my windows down (which I typically do). Today I kept them up with the air blowing (not on recirculate) and didn't smell a thing. I opened my window and there was the smell instantly. I don't know if it's stronger on the driver or passenger side as I am the only one ever driving. I pulled into my driveway and tried to find the source of the smell but of course it's gone. I find it's only strong when you are driving (accelerating even).

Old 02-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Just a guess, a tiny winy leak of coolant on a hot place?
Burning coolant smells awful, and chemical ...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts

Maybe the hoses that run under the intake manifold have a small leak. When you accelerate the coolant will flow back and burn - maybe.