XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sudden Extreme Cold, Now Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts
Default Sudden Extreme Cold, Now Starting Issues

Due to another project occupying the garage a couple weeks ago, I had to leave the X308 outdoors for several hours while the temperature was in the low to mid 20s F. I had driven the car earlier that morning and it had started fine in the garage with the inside temperature probably around 50 F. When I attempted to restart to move it back into the garage, it roared to life instantly, but immediately died. I restarted it and was able to get it to run by holding the throttle at ~1500 RPM until it warmed up a little and smoothed out. Then it seemed to idle OK. But since then, its been doing the same thing every time I cold start it even though the temperature has been warmer, in the upper 40s to low 50s. Misfire codes 301, 302, 303, 304, 308 and 1316. I haven't actually driven the x308 anywhere since, only moving it in and out of the garage because I didn't want to get somewhere and risk further issues. Hoping somebody will read this and say "ah ha!" BTDT, I know exactly what's wrong. Otherwise it will likely sit for a couple months till I get some time to mess with it.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Gas , Gas , Gas and or coil packs.
How long has the gas been in the car, if its old ethanol becomes sugar water.
Good luck
make sure water didn't get in the tank aka plugged drain near cap.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Dry Gas--Often!

Right there with jtjoey.
I've had hard lessons to keep on top of leaked water/condensate in tanks. I don't know how much is too much, but, I add a bottle isopropyl dry gas about every three to five fill-ups. Don't use methanol base. It's a killer on neoprene which is lousy stuff anyway.
I don't really know the numbers, but, I'm not at all sure that three to five rate is enough, but, it's keeping troubles away.
Also, on some cars, steady addition of fuel system/injector cleaners is a must. I have one other high mileage GMC beast on which the PCV flow points straight at and slowly gum up the injector nozzles for cyls. 5&7 (Rear two on left bank). And, at that, the Cocktail of cleaners that work is strictly Gumout and Berymans for the oil I use.
Last, but, not least is stale, gummy fuel. Even if using something like Stabil, try to run it out in just a few months at most. I've found the Jag much fussier than the beasts for good starting and smooth idle. Every time it doesn't light right off, I panic about things gummed up.
Hope this helps and isn't just a bunch of stuff you already know!!

Old 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 866 Likes on 714 Posts

Not so sure: might also be a bad ETC or a bad connection at the temperature sensor in the cross pipe and/or at the MAF. Pull the connector at the ETC and clean the pins with electronic cleaner; gently, unplug the MAF sensor, clean that plug and make sure none of those pins are bent. The ECU enriches the starting fuel if it is cold outside (same as chokes did on older cars). If it is a bad sensor, it assumes it is warm (last sensing in the heated garage) and fails to enrich the starting mixture. From your description, it sounds like you were missing the "choke" effect.

Years ago, up North, fuel lines froze all the time in the Winter. Overtime they put antifreeze (as #3 noted) mixtures in the gas at the pump; not so often down in the South. So, it could be gas -- but 20* doesn't seem cold enough to get that effect. Nor cold enough to cause ice from tank condensate.

And since four of the five misfires are on the right side (bank one), look for a pinches wire to the coil packs -- although if you haven't been fiddling underneath the hood, I can't see that happening.

Last edited by Jhartz; 01-15-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Tried doing a hard reset?

If the car was running as well as you said BEFORE you,put it outside, then bad gas doesn’t just happen that fast.
How much gas is in the tank?

Try doing a hard reset and then fill the car up with 93 or higher.
Restart the car and bring it up to operating temp at idle.
Shut the car off for 10 minutes then restart.

The problem should go away.

See what happens.

This sounds like a typical x308 hiccup.

These cars are not meant to sit. Strange things happen to these cars when they sit. They send back all sorts of strange codes if they sit too long.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 01-16-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 695 Posts

Jim's suggestion of a temp sensor seems most plausible. I can research how to check it. Gasoline issues seem implausible as it has nearly a full tank of gas that was only two or three days old at the time. I've never had any issues with water in my gasoline freezing here in Texas in all my 35 years of driving. Its a garage queen and it does sometimes sit for a week at a stretch. I generally drive my pickup truck when the weather is fowl, but rarely sits any longer than a week and its kept plugged into a CTEK battery maintainer all the time. But it has had random problems before that disappeared on their own never to be seen again so a reset may be worth a shot.