XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Suddenly doesn't start???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suddenly doesn't start???

I say suddenly, the '99 VDP was running well when we parked it the day before Christmas. Then this morning, as my wife was leaving for work, she said it turned over slowly, barely started, then immediately died. So she left in my Land Rover. About 4 hours later, I checked the battery out, then added the charger. It definitely needed a charge.

About 3 hours later, we tried and tried to get it started...no dice. Fuel, air...check. Just seemed to have no spark...except very occasionally. Check of codes...only a history of a bank knock sensor. Cleared.

A couple of times during the many, many tries, it sounded like it sparked 2-3 times, but never started. Noticed that the Restricted Performance and Traction Control Fail message kept coming up as I cranked. Then a "pet us" or similar message that I only saw very quickly 3 different times. Also, just went back out and checked...no movement of the tach.

Also checked all fuses under the hood (bonnet), as well as rotated relays to eliminate the possibility.

So now I am thinking Crankshaft Position Sensor. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

I know it sounds simplistic but I'd try a new or known good battery before pulling things apart.
The CKP should throw codes if it is poorly.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,815 Likes on 2,244 Posts

Steve, since the engine only ran for a few seconds, isn't cylinder wash a possibility? Or had they already eliminated nikasil?

The following users liked this post:
steveinfrance (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
Steve, since the engine only ran for a few seconds, isn't cylinder wash a possibility? Or had they already eliminated nikasil?
Sound suggestion.
Crosbo - Does the engine seem to have compression ?
The reason I suggested battery was the slow crank to start with then RP + Trac fail which, as you know, can be a battery thing.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Do a search for "PECUS" not 100% sure but that could be a can-bus issue.

I'd deffo use a known good battery, old/cold batteries and these cars electronics don't get on.
The other thing is with various attempts to start this vintage will certainly wash the bores, you'll now have the infamous 'bore wash' condition. (you should be aware of this but if not there's a lot of info on the bore wash condition)

I bet a fresh battery and a teaspoon of oil down each cylinder bore after letting them air out the excess gas should see it start. When this work is carried out, fresh battery, oil added, plugs dried off, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor this cuts fuel, your now spreading the oil around the rings building up compression, next try and start normally.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Perhaps it's a North Country car saying 'Pet Us' - OP needs to open the bonnet + stroke the engine tenderly.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM

Thanx for the replies gents. The bore wash was sorta my thinking last evening, but the lack of movement of the tach is what set me to thinking of the CPS. But as I awoke this morning, it was the potential bore wash and what are sure to be wet plugs that were on my mind. Of course the mild winter here in S central Texas would have to take a break this morning…with a snow-freezing rain mixture falling. Grand…just what I've been asking for so I could take my LR out of pavement mode…just don't need it today! ;-)

SIF - like your thought about the "petting"…and believe me, were stroking and speaking nicely to "Vandy" last evening…and she almost started, a couple of times.

The battery should be fully charged this morning, so the first thing will be to put up a cover to protect from the weather, then pull the coils and plugs to let the cylinder dry of fuel while we clean/dry the plugs. Then I'll add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder as suggested and proceed as Sean suggests. Fingers crossed.

Thanx for the replies. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

I think it was Brutal who reckoned to 'do' only one bank to sort The Wash - but if your pet sounds as if it's got compression it may just be a bad battery. Anyway, let us know + good luck.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 AM

The update…plugs looked like crap! Black, sooty, very dirty. Oh well, I knew I needed to give the girl a tune-up…having never looked at the plugs in the 50K miles we've owned her.

So, oil in and now going to use existing plugs to lube the cylinder walls then install new plugs to see if she will run. Thoughts on new plugs? I'm am leaning towards the Bosch Double Platinum.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

That's why you got the 'Pet Us' message.
You Americans have no feeling for a Brit girl.......

Old 01-03-2013, 12:08 PM

Yeah, based upon what I stated, easy to come to that conclusion. But trust me, she has been very babied since we've owned her…even if she's left us stranded more than once…two fuel pumps, water pump, thermostat and so on. I regularly clean the throttle body, part load etc., just hadn't taken that next step removing the coils and plugs…and she was still getting 25-28 mpg down the highway. Trust me, I love the girl…keep her washed/waxed and seats treated with Connolly's leather treatments.

Anyway, thoughts on the Bosch plugs?

Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member

I use the Bosch Iridium. Plums ( who I have a great deal of time for) hates them
Chacun à son gout.
I've gained 2 mpg and a much smoother tickover but who knows.
If you've really looked after her then explain to her that you should have looked more carefully at her best bits (plugs) and hope she forgives you.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM

Hmmmm…well, she's' not happy with my just yet. New plugs in place, all cleaned and buttoned up neatly…and still no start. Kind of sounding like she wants to, but I think she is just messing with me.

Interesting, still no tach movement. I'm perplexed; should there be during the starting process…or only after the engine fires? If there should be, then perhaps it is the CPS?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello Crosbo,

Jaguar recommends NKG spark plugs. If they are available in Texas you might give them a try too.

Excerpt from the vehicle care handbook:

Spark plugs (unleaded fuel):
– Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . NGK PFR5G-11E
– Electrode gap . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.04 - 0.043 inch (1.0 - 1.1 mm)
edit: oh, I just read that you already changed the plugs.

Last edited by Highway Star; 01-04-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: new info from op
Old 01-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Ok-

1. are the upper tensioners metal?
2. how much oil did you put in ?
3. When it felt like it was going to start, did you have your foot to the floor?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Not sure about the tensioners.

We poured 1 teaspoon of oil in each cylinder, replaced old plugs, then turned it over several times. Removed old plugs, installed new, reconnected and reinstalled all removed items, then attempted to start as usual…no throttle.

After it did not work. I even disconnected battery, joined cables together for several minutes just in case I could clear the memory. Then reconnected battery and also applied jumpers from the Range Rover, just to be sure we had plenty of power. Turns over well but does not start. A couple of times it hitches like maybe it wants to fire, but doesn't.

Checking fuel once again at rail…fuel at rail with key on.

Looked up all fuses and relays remotely having anything to do with coils, injectors, fuel pump etc. All checked out.

So here I sit, cold, frustrated and smelling of gasoline.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 423 Posts

Not sure about the tensioners.

Remove the valve covers and check.

This should be the number one thing every XJ8 owner does when purchasing the car. We will harass you to check even if you happen to get it started, so you may as well do it as the next step.

Looking forward to hearing the result.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member

The no rpm does suggest the CKP
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-sensor-75309/
On the XK series (the only ones I know a bit about) a CKP fault for 5 seconds causes the cam sensor to be used by default so the car starts but throws codes.
Maybe this isn't the case with yours.
The sensor resistance should be about 1.4 K

Old 01-07-2013, 04:01 PM

Sorry guys, looks the lengthy update from my iPad yesterday did not post. Oh well. Suffice to say, it took 3 attempts at oiling the cylinders to resuscitate the big cat.

The weather was bright and sunny and much warmer Saturday; so I hoped that would help. She tried to come to life about midday Saturday, but just never caught hold. So, after a late lunch I tore it all back down and added another tablespoon of oil to each cylinder. Said goodbye to my son who had been helping me thru the freezing rain and ice; as he left to return to college. Crossed my finders, said a Hail Mary and spoke affectionately to Vandy as I stroked her dash lovingly…and upon attempting to start, the big girl sprang to life immediately!

Alas, about 15 seconds later I wished I had remembered or been a bit quicker on the garage door button trigger. The white smoke engulfed the entire front of the house, most of my neighbors and part of the street. My brother and I joked about whether or not air traffic control was redirecting planes around us. 15-20 minutes later after I had turned the car in the driveway, we opened the garage…yep, still full of white smoke!

I was elated with the success…but alas, the joy was shorted-lived. As soon as the big girl had reached full operating temperature, the big hose blew off the water inlet thermostat housing making a huge mess. Oh well, only the 4th time this has ever happened. Fortunately, the aluminum upgrade I had ordered months earlier, sat in my office gathering dust, waiting for me to "get the chance". It was as if the big girl said "…well, while you are at it…".

Gotta love the use of nylon parts in critical areas that are soaked and heat-soaked continuously. Thanx Jaguar…and Land Rover (yep, suffered similar failure on my Range Rover).

Anyway, one additional exercise later and it was time to wipe down the tools and put them all away. Took her for a little cruise around the neighborhood last evening, then to the gym and back today. Running well…as if nothing had every taken place. I'm eager to get her back on the highway and see what kind of mileage the new plugs provide…since we consistently saw 26-28 with the plugs pictured.

Attached Thumbnails Suddenly doesn't start???-img_1555.jpg  
Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Geez, with my latest update I forgot the most important part…the "thank you!"

Thanx guys for your suggestions and thanx for your support of and the existence of this forum. Without it and the contributions and assistance provided, many of us would be left with entrusting our "loved ones" to others.

Thanx to everyone who assisted.

Quick Reply: Suddenly doesn't start???