XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Suddenly doesn't start???

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 541 Likes on 422 Posts

Check your secondary tensioners.... before it's too late....

Congratulations on getting her started though!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosbo
Sorry guys, looks the lengthy update from my iPad yesterday did not post. Oh well. Suffice to say, it took 3 attempts at oiling the cylinders to resuscitate the big cat.

The weather was bright and sunny and much warmer Saturday; so I hoped that would help. She tried to come to life about midday Saturday, but just never caught hold. So, after a late lunch I tore it all back down and added another tablespoon of oil to each cylinder. Said goodbye to my son who had been helping me thru the freezing rain and ice; as he left to return to college. Crossed my finders, said a Hail Mary and spoke affectionately to Vandy as I stroked her dash lovingly…and upon attempting to start, the big girl sprang to life immediately!

Alas, about 15 seconds later I wished I had remembered or been a bit quicker on the garage door button trigger. The white smoke engulfed the entire front of the house, most of my neighbors and part of the street. My brother and I joked about whether or not air traffic control was redirecting planes around us. 15-20 minutes later after I had turned the car in the driveway, we opened the garage…yep, still full of white smoke!

I was elated with the success…but alas, the joy was shorted-lived. As soon as the big girl had reached full operating temperature, the big hose blew off the water inlet thermostat housing making a huge mess. Oh well, only the 4th time this has ever happened. Fortunately, the aluminum upgrade I had ordered months earlier, sat in my office gathering dust, waiting for me to "get the chance". It was as if the big girl said "…well, while you are at it…".

Gotta love the use of nylon parts in critical areas that are soaked and heat-soaked continuously. Thanx Jaguar…and Land Rover (yep, suffered similar failure on my Range Rover).

Anyway, one additional exercise later and it was time to wipe down the tools and put them all away. Took her for a little cruise around the neighborhood last evening, then to the gym and back today. Running well…as if nothing had every taken place. I'm eager to get her back on the highway and see what kind of mileage the new plugs provide…since we consistently saw 26-28 with the plugs pictured.

She was giving you THAT kind of gas mileage with THESE!!? Holly Crap. You better never get rid of her. I've seen better plugs thrown on the ground in the junkyard!

Congrats on being pesistent. I think it was the petting of the dashboard, in combination with Hail Mary that made her wake up.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, on the one hand I was pretty surprised at the condition of the plugs (given the great mileage we get on the highway)...then on the other hand, since I hadn't checked the plugs since we purchased her some 50K+ before, I wasn't surprised.

She has served us well and although I hadn't checked the plugs (nor pulled the valve covers to check the tensioners), I do change the oil on a regular basis, only run synthetic and clean the air filter and throttle body every other oil change...and run the tires around 2 pounds over the placard. At the end of the week when I climb in the car, I usually see an overall average mpg of 23 from my wife's combined city and highway driving.

My wife is laying strong hints she wants a Range Rover...supercharged of course...after Land Rover paid us $100 to go test drive a new (2012) Supercharged Ranger Rover a couple months back. She didn't like it when I told her last evening that I had read that if taken care of, that the '99 could make it to 300K+. Imagine that.

However, our oldest daughter marries this coming September...so...I think we'll have to hold on the Supercharged RR for a bit longer.

However, I just noticed this evening that the dealer still has the '04 XJR we drove a few weeks ago. Hmmmm.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Glad you got it sorted - what about the 'No RPM' on the tacho ?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosbo
Yeah, on the one hand I was pretty surprised at the condition of the plugs (given the great mileage we get on the highway)...then on the other hand, since I hadn't checked the plugs since we purchased her some 50K+ before, I wasn't surprised.

She has served us well and although I hadn't checked the plugs (nor pulled the valve covers to check the tensioners), I do change the oil on a regular basis, only run synthetic and clean the air filter and throttle body every other oil change...and run the tires around 2 pounds over the placard. At the end of the week when I climb in the car, I usually see an overall average mpg of 23 from my wife's combined city and highway driving.

My wife is laying strong hints she wants a Range Rover...supercharged of course...after Land Rover paid us $100 to go test drive a new (2012) Supercharged Ranger Rover a couple months back. She didn't like it when I told her last evening that I had read that if taken care of, that the '99 could make it to 300K+. Imagine that.

However, our oldest daughter marries this coming September...so...I think we'll have to hold on the Supercharged RR for a bit longer.

However, I just noticed this evening that the dealer still has the '04 XJR we drove a few weeks ago. Hmmmm.

Yup, women get bored with cars. Mine likes to look at a different dash every year. I am different. When I like some machine/object, I like it forever. Every vehicle I bought for myself in the last 15odd years, I still have. They all have super low mileage (my 95 Sierra has 80K, K1200 13K, KTM 3K, H1 39K, X5 50K, VDP 83K, S430 78K) and are extremely well taken care off. Except VDP, I own them from new, and know everything about them. Why would I look for anything different? The only thing I want to add is an 03XJR, not because I need it, but I want one!

My biggest "problem".......I don't like how the most modern cars look! All the cars are starting to look alike,.....egg shaped little "gas savers", that I dislike. Gas savers are NOT working for us, the consumers! Think about it,.....they are pushing us to drive these little boxes that use LESS gas. Right? And the gas is going up in price all the time. Right? So the SOBs are working less, producing less gass, and making more money! I say screw them.

I am trying to do my part in protecting the planet for the next generations. My approach is a little different, but it will be effective one day,......I try to use as much gas as possible! To support the gas station owners I know (they are barely making it,...trust me!), the group I belonged to until few years ago, and to make the oil reserves run out as soon as possible. Once they do run out, humans will FINALLY start using "alternative" fuels, planet will clens itself,....and voila! Better life for our descendants,....no polution, no greenhouse, no loss of ozone, no global warming.

I always smile when someone asks "what's the gas mileage you're getting with this?" If one is concerned about the gas mileage, one should look into driving some attrocity like the Prius.

Sorry about the rant.