XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sun roof repair question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020 | 08:01 PM
|

I couldn't find anything off the self to replace the plastic screw that holds in the sunroof controls. I tried a number of plastic rivets and screws but nothing fit right. In the end I ordered one off ebay, it cost me $5, with was infuriating.

Anyway I got my headliner back up and reinstalled the sunroof motor as well as the rear headliner piece and the the roof section. but now when I try to open or close the sunroof I can hear the motor spinning but it sounds like it is just rubbing off the teeth on the cables but not actually turning it. As a result it won't move the sunroof. Its like the gear on the motor is not engaging the teeth. I have these two metal clips left over, I don't remember where they go, could this be part of the problem?
Anyone else experience this? Anyone one know how to fix it? I'm really starting to get sick of this car being stuck in my garage for a stupid sunroof!

Old 04-02-2020 | 01:47 PM
|

So I figured out what the problem I was having with the motor not engaging. I didn't have these disc on the end of the cable have to slot into these tiny slits in the motor housing in order for everything to be lined up. I was struggling to get them lined up on the car so I begrudgingly removed the sunroof frame again. But I still can't get these things lined up, there just doesn't seem to be enough play in the cables to get things in the right place.

Old 04-08-2020 | 06:19 PM
|

Bumping this, still looking for to figure this out. Was just out in the garage for 45 min sliding the cables back and forth with a screwdriver trying to get then to line up with the motor. Could get the forward most one to line up with the motor, but not the rearward ones. I can only seem to move the cables so far by hand this way. Please any help appreciated! Desperate here and sick of fiddling with this thing!

Old 04-19-2020 | 12:33 PM
|

Bumping this thread again. My sunroof woes continue. I've managed to get the motor lined up with the cables thanks to the help of my local jag mechanic. I reinstalled the frame into the car but alas things still do not work. The sunroof titled up with the motor but when trying to tilt it down to close it would stop with it tilted about 1/2 in open, seems to be jammed. I could hear he motor grinding against the cables. Tried turning the motor manually with a screwdriver, no luck. I removed the motor which pained my to do singe it was such a pain to get back on in the first place, and tried sliding the cable by hand with the tip of a flathead, still no luck, it won't finish its tilt.
I'm getting really fed up with this sunroof, I don't want to go hunt down another frame from a junkyard. and go about installing it all over agian. Any tips to unstick this thing. At this point I just want to leave it closed and disconnect the motor. So over this f***ing thing!

Old 04-21-2020 | 05:23 PM
|

So I went to the junkyard yesterday and pulled out yet another sunroof frame. Before removing it I made sure I could manually tilt, open and close the sunroof, and I left the motor attached to the frame. The rear drains broke off again when removing it but this time it was such a clean break where that whole plastic part plus into the channel, rather than the tubes just crumbling away from being brittle, so I decided to take it anyway and jb weld them back together. Going to get it into my car tomorrow, I'm not even going to plug in the motor, I'm just going to shut the damn thing and leave it like that!

Old 04-24-2020 | 02:43 PM
|

It's done. Can't believe that took two moths and 3 replacement sunroof frames, but its done. The motor won't engage with the cable I can just hear it whirling when I press the button. I suspect that is because it needs to be synced, but I'm not going to bother with that. I was able to manually shut it and not it is finally closed and that is where it will stay. ****ing hate this cursed car!