XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof: 1 or 2 loud "clicks" when closing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 78 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Sunroof: 1 or 2 loud "clicks" when closing

Hi,

most of the time I can hear 1 or 2 loud "clicks" when closing the sunroof. It happens just before closing, when the roof panel is already 2 third closed (about when the wind deflector is retracted) but I am not sure the wind deflector is the reason.

Anything else seems to work properly: open/close/tilt. Since i am going to replace the headliner soon (waiting for the fabric), is there anything I should look at apart greasing the sunroof tracks?

Maybe a hint: last week-end I tried and suceeded in removing/replacing the sunroof panel liner (because I plan to replace the liner there too, to make it match the headliner), and the first time I operated the sunroof again (full open and close), I did not get the "click" . Second time I operated the sunroof, the "click" was back again though .

Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

My X300 did that. I never bothered fixing it though.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

I have had troubles with a few of my Jaguar sunroofs -- especially my x300 (same unit) --- You should not be getting any loud clicks ... do some looking around and make sure that the headliner cover is properly attached and that nothing is stuck in one of the tracks

Unfortunately the roof incorporates quite a few plastic pieces that can fail and they are not available as separate parts. The roof is particularly susceptible to damage when you move it to the vent position -- sometimes the roof will not park properly and when it move to go into vent the track is damaged.

It is very important that the roof be properly lubricated with the correct lube so it fully closes. because of the design -- i never use the vent.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 AM

I just found out why I had this loud "click" when closing my sunroof, this is because the sunroof was too hard to close. Why? because of this small lever that is normally attached at the bottom to the smaller piece of the sunroof liner (the piece that stays horizontal when the sunroof is tilted and that hides between the healiner when the sunroof is completely open).

On the pictures, the lever is correctly positionned and engaged at the bottom into a plastic piece, attached to the small sunroof liner.

In my case, both levers (only the left one shown on the picture) were disengaged and a spring is pulling them upward (like the arrow on the first picture). So you need to look for them on each side of the roof panel, with the panel tilted if that happens to you.

Then i re-engaged both levers into their plastic sockets at the bottom but the left one was getting lose as soon as I was tilting the sunroof again. I think this is because they are slightly out of shape or because there is more play than when they were new. So I bent them a little bit, the left lever toward left side (like the arrow on second picture) and the right toward right side and bingo! this working like new, no click no noise. I can feel the roof operates easier and also the 2 sunroof liners join much better with the roof closed.

As said somewhere else on this forum, if you miss the smaller sunroof liner in the inside, chances are it is hidden behind the headliner and you need to pull it out with a coat hanger or something. The plastig tabs to wich the levers attach are likely to be broken. Can't be found alone it seems so have to be rebuilt in some way or complete mechanism to be replaced.

Arriere = Rear
Avant = Front

The following users liked this post:
dstary (07-14-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Dude, this is awesome. Can you go into detail on how to remove the inside sunroof cover? My rear piece is separated and sitting in the rear above the headliner as you say. Also, my fabric is falling off the front piece. I have a parts car with a perfect headliner and sunroof cover. How do you remove these pieces easily and without breaking anything? I just want to know how to attack this monster! Thanks in advance!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:59 AM

Hi ixj8it,

in order to remove the front part of the liner, you need to tilt the sunroof, then press 2 spings from outside the car, through the sunroof aperture, at the back of the tilted sunroof. Then pull the sunroof front liner panel outside the car, always working from oustide the car, through the sunroof aperture. Better to protect your roof paintwork before proceeding. For the rear sunroof liner panel, I am not there yet. I am going to remove my headliner anyway to replace the fabric so I guess it will become clearer when the main headliner panel is out of the car. I doubt the rear sunroof liner panel can be removed without removing the entire main headliner, but who knows...

The following users liked this post:
ixj8it (07-20-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Both the fix for the lift levers and the complete removal of the headliner can be found in detailed threads from the past. Especially the lift levers which is a Motorcarman fix.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Cool, I am going to have to check out those threads sometime. I may have this thing running again tonight! Then its time for seat swap/sunroof repairs I miss my Jag!