XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof.....a fan or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018 | 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

I have never been a sunroof kind of guy but on the X308 I very much like using it.

I like fresh air when I drive so I often have the driver window down but it seems, maybe just due to the aerodynamics of the X308, that I get much more wind on my face than I'm used to in other cars when I just roll down the driver window. It's too much.

The sunroof is a great compromise; I get a nice influx of fresh air without having my hair blowing all over the place.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-23-2018 | 02:31 PM

I really like my sunroof, the only think i dislike about it is when the sun shines down through it and blinds you.

Old 03-23-2018 | 11:49 PM
Default Fan of Funroof

Both Jags have sunroofs - big fan.

As others have mentioned, when driving at speed with windows down appears to lessen "wind buffeting" into drivers window.

Also when parked in direct sunlight on hot sunny days, leaving windows closed but sunroof open in the 'tilt' position keeps locked car from getting too warm. (But doesn't invite someone climbing in). I use air, but would rather reduce A/C heat load when first starting car on hot days.

Old 03-26-2018 | 10:09 PM

According to an article I recently read, a sunroof is one of the most expensive and least used options you can order. If like me you had no choice -- all X-308s in America have sunroofs -- there's the hassle of living with the damn thing.

First, it compromises the structural integrity of the car -- particularly an old-design unibody like the X-308. The car flexes noticeably going over curbs, etc., at least in part because the sunroof opening has reduced its chassis stiffness.

And, it's a high-maintenance item with frequent problems. You can have motor failures, or wind noise problems resulting from the seal being compromised. My long- time Jaguar technician recommended I not use it!

I'd much rather have my 2001 XJR with a solid roof, more headroom, more structural integrity, and fewer things to worry about breaking down. But I can't. So the next best thing is to forget it's there.

Old 03-26-2018 | 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

So; horses for courses, I guess . . . perhaps, as reported here, even more favoured in warmer climates to accelerate initial cooling down after entering a locked car . . . and to reduce the wind buffeting when highway driving with windows open.

Clearly, what we can deduce from Jaguar (US) policy of mandatory fitment on their X308s, is that, compared with ROW where this was always an extra cost option, John's fellow countrymen must have found a sunroof enormously popular.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 03-27-2018 | 02:09 AM

I don't mind the sunroof in mine, but it isn't used very much. I would like it more if it was slightly tinted glass, like it was on my Acura and Audi's. I really liked having that added bit of light coming in, without having the wind/noise from having it opened. If my car ever needs to have the headliner replaced, I am seriously considering deleting it. it would strengthen up the roof, reduce the weight a little bit, and it would give me more headroom! The latter idea would make me very happy. I'm only 6' and have thinning hair on top, but I still touch the headliner a little. And that is with the seat all the way down and back A couple extra inches of headroom with a custom headliner would be fantastic

Old 10-14-2019 | 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'm using mine nowadays, does anyone know where to lube to eliminate a semi-loud pop halfway through the roof's sequence whether opening or closing. If not common I'll try & get a video sometime today.

Old 10-14-2019 | 11:00 AM
|
Veteran Member

KC, never experienced any unusual noises with the sunroof, so assuming uncommon.

Old 10-14-2019 | 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

I roll the sunroof back anytime I feel the weather is nice enough. Hell, I roll down all 4 Windows as well. Same with my 96 lt4 vette. I take the targa top off anytime I like the weather.

Old 10-14-2019 | 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Correction, the pop/crack seems to come on closing @ about 20 seconds 70% completion. Here's video, well audio.

Old 10-14-2019 | 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

I should remove the inner sunroof lining, so you can (kind of) see the mechanism on each side.

It (un)clicks at the front, and is held by some spring clips at the rear.
If you tilt the sunroof, and take a torch, you will see how it works.
It slides through the small pocket between the roof and the tilted sunroof lid.

I presume it is one of the several moving clips which is loose, and catches somewhere, or the small rear lid.

Worst case scenario is to undo the headliner

Old 10-14-2019 | 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I should remove the inner sunroof lining, so you can (kind of) see the mechanism on each side.

It (un)clicks at the front, and is held by some spring clips at the rear.
If you tilt the sunroof, and take a torch, you will see how it works.
It slides through the small pocket between the roof and the tilted sunroof lid.

I presume it is one of the several moving clips which is loose, and catches somewhere, or the small rear lid.

Worst case scenario is to undo the headliner
The semi recently replaced headliner at that lol.

The "pop" sounds like those 2 arms on each side that fold then extend straight, buckling/friction etc. I'll try lubing them firstly.

Old 10-30-2019 | 01:51 AM
Veteran Member

I sprayed the entire tract w/ lube & it still pops on the return cycle. I'm going to have to get up in there w/ good light & see exactly what's going on. But I must say w/ coastal NC fall in full swing I am enjoying the sunroof this year !

Old 11-01-2019 | 09:36 AM

King Charles, I have the same pop sound on the driver side of the sunroof when I am sliding it closed. I do not have the sound when I open it. I use it often and it works well otherwise.

I would love to know your diagnosis. I had roof liner replaced five years ago and it has held up nicely. So am not eager to take if down.

All thoughts welcome.

Old 11-02-2019 | 10:57 PM

Every car I have owned with a sunroof has never been used, I remove the fuses and pretend I don't have one.

Old 11-02-2019 | 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Len Apcar
King Charles, I have the same pop sound on the driver side of the sunroof when I am sliding it closed. I do not have the sound when I open it. I use it often and it works well otherwise.

I would love to know your diagnosis. I had roof liner replaced five years ago and it has held up nicely. So am not eager to take if down.

All thoughts welcome.
I've isolated the pop to the bar/slides that raise/lower the deflector, I've already lubed the tract yet it remains on the return cycle. To be continued.

Old 11-03-2019 | 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles
I've isolated the pop to the bar/slides that raise/lower the deflector, I've already lubed the tract yet it remains on the return cycle. To be continued.
What works for me is a dab of white lithium grease on the little plastic bumps on the deflector arms, which is the source of the pop as the sunroof slides up on them, like you said. The grease fixes the pop sound for a while, but I have to reapply the grease once in a while. I have thought I could probably dremel the edge of the plastic pieces into slightly more of a bevel so the sunroof slides onto it easier, but I haven’t tried it. I don’t slide it open very often, so I haven’t looked too hard for a permanent solution.

Please share if you find a better fix!

Old 11-06-2019 | 10:00 AM

My xjr is poverty spec, less to go wrong so im happy

My daily driver is a '86 110 so im used to not having many modern luxuries lol.

Old 11-09-2019 | 06:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by owas
My xjr is poverty spec, less to go wrong so im happy

My daily driver is a '86 110 so im used to not having many modern luxuries lol.
Post a pic of your XJR's overhead console,I'm curious as to how they look w/ no sunroof option.

Old 11-09-2019 | 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by King Charles
Post a pic of your XJR's overhead console,I'm curious as to how they look w/ no sunroof option.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (11-09-2019)