XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sunroof Leaking

Hey all!
Its that time in Florida when the weather is incredibly crappy and raining every damn day. Due to this, I've noticed my sunroof has started to leak a little and want to take care of it before it gets worse. Something is loose inside and the smaller section towards the back of the sunroof is loose. Do you guys think that the leak is due to the loose part or is the seal needing replacement? Also, is there a repair tutorial anywhere that somebody can send me?

Secondly, my gasoline door area is filling with water which I haven't noticed to be as much of a problem as it has been as of late (again, lots of rain here) is there a way to drain it, or is there one installed that is maybe clogged?

As always, thanks in advance!

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

1. The sunroof "seal" is not meant to be waterproof. Water passes it and lands in a channel around the roof assembly and onto a sliding tray above the panel you showed, then into a drain tube at each corner. They need to be "rodded out" sometimes if dirt dobbers or other insects have plugged them. It is advised to not use compressed air since you can blow the hoses off the barbs. SO, yes, the sliding panel being loose is a problem. Se archives for info.
2. Another drain tube leads away from the well where the cap is. It should have a little screen thing protruding upward into the well. Pull it off and clean it. If it is not there, rod out the tube, then get a screen from either a dealer or online source. Not dealing with that drain is an excellent way to fill your gas tank with water, which is a PITA- I know!

Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Default Is that an actual photo of your car?

Originally Posted by Rideordie

Hey all!
Its that time in Florida when the weather is incredibly crappy and raining every damn day. Due to this, I've noticed my sunroof has started to leak a little and want to take care of it before it gets worse. Something is loose inside and the smaller section towards the back of the sunroof is loose. Do you guys think that the leak is due to the loose part or is the seal needing replacement? Also, is there a repair tutorial anywhere that somebody can send me?

Secondly, my gasoline door area is filling with water which I haven't noticed to be as much of a problem as it has been as of late (again, lots of rain here) is there a way to drain it, or is there one installed that is maybe clogged?

As always, thanks in advance!

Is that an actual photo of your car above?

If so, you have an X300 not X308 and might find more answers for other questions specific to the X300 series in the X300 forum.

Specifically to the sunroof and fuel filler however, both X300 and X308 are essentially identical so you'll get good answers here to both In fact, one can install an X308 sunroof assembly into an X300 directly.

If you do a search for "sunroof" in this and the X300 forum there are a bunch of "how to's" with photos of how to service the sunroofs. In the X300 forum there are also several TSBs in the sticky section on maintaining & repairing the sunroof mechanism.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys! And I should have mentioned that is NOT a photo of my car, simply a google search to call out the loose part. I do own an X308 (99 XJR). Excuse my ignorance but where can I find the archives?

Last edited by Rideordie; 08-04-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Rideordie
Thanks for the replies guys! And I should have mentioned that is NOT a photo of my car, simply a google search to call out the loose part. I do own an X308 (99 XJR). Excuse my ignorance but where can I find the archives?

No "archives" per se, just existing threads in the X308 and X300 forums. Once you are in the given forum, you'll see a "search this forum" link at the far right along the black menu bar at top of the thread list. You can just type "sunroof" there, or click on "advanced search" if you want to search by thread content, title only, author, multiple forums, etc.

Both the X300 and likely the X308 forum have loads of threads on sunroof issues and complete replacement. You may have to dig through a bunch to find the ones that fit your need exactly, or even reference a few combined, but I suspect most if not all the info is here. I've definitely seen a thread or two covering complete sunroof mechanism replacement.

Good luck!