XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sunroof not working

Sunroof quit working recently. I checked the fuse and it is good. When activating the button it sounds as if it is clicking like a relay is working, but no movement.

Actually going through a few little gremlins that have popped up over the last few months.

Thanks,
Pat

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: Sunroof not working

Drop down the roof console panel (home link), leave the wiring connected, operate the switch and see if the white plastic slotted shaft (sunroof motor gear) is rotating.

The "tilt and slide" mechanisms which transport the sliding roof panel on each side are complicated and fragile. Detailed explanation could take hours, so I'll simply say that stuff gets broke and jammed, and it is not at all easy or cheap to fix in most cases.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Sunroof not working

I'm with JTO as far as the explanation of the sunroof operation is concerned. You will need some further diagnosis to determine what's wrong and exactly how to proceed.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 AM

So I finally got around to looking into the sunroof issue further. Dropping the center panel down I can see that the motor is not turning at all. I can hear a relay like switch in a thin black box to the right of the motor unit. But no movement at all. The motor does not seem to be stuck or jammed as I can move the white slotted shaft which moves the sunroof mechanism freely.

Any idea where to go from here?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM

What happened with the brake light?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by JagtechOhio
What happened with the brake light?
New SLCM fixed it. Bought from the local Sacramento Jag dealer.

Now if I can figure the sunroof out I will have everything working.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:28 PM

Oh, in that case you're welcomed. Don't they have anyone there who can advise with your sunroof?

Old 03-29-2009, 12:42 PM

Oh, in that case you're welcomed. Don't they have anyone there who can advise with your sunroof?
I am very appreciative of all the help and suggestions of everyone who contributes to any of my questions. This and most all other forums like it are great for do it yourselfers.

As to the dealer answering questions, well they will want to get it in their shop and I have been told that for them to give advice to DIY'rs will open them up to potential lawsuits since they can't control what other non-trained individual owners will end up breaking or fixing. I understand that position and turn to these forums for advice while building my own knowledge. I also prefer to buy parts from sponsors or non-dealer parts shops or individuals here. I had asked you if you had an SLCM for sale prior to going to the Jag dealer since I would have bought it from you since you helped me pinpoint the problem. Based on your response that it needed to be programmed specifically for my SLCM code and model number I just went to the dealer.

Thanks for all your advice now and in the future.
Pat

Old 03-29-2009, 12:59 PM

I'm glad that anyone else searching this forum in the future with a similar problem will now know how it was resolved. For the module you required, as I told you the component must be ordered through Jaguar according to the VCATS programming code: that's all your dealer needed, that's all I needed. Hopefully they didn't charge you more than the list price I quoted.

I guess the comment about potential liability from DIY'ers self-inflicted wounds is a valid point. Something for me to ponder while I get back to work.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Lawsuits

Living in California, I too understand the shop being concerned about lawsuits. I'm guessing California has the highest rate of lawsuits in the Nation? Most of which are completely ridiculous.

But it may not be a bad idea for the "Pros" to add a short disclaimer in their signature so as to prevent any possibility of such a problem?

Maybe something very simple that states that any advice given is only an opinion and should not be taken otherwise? (I'm no lawyer, so I'm sure this could be a bit clearer.)

It's REALLY, REALLY too bad that we even need to consider such a thing.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

It has more to do with a dealership giving DIY repair advice to the customer population as opposed to a "Jag tech" who does not represent any particular dealer in an online forum.

But, back to the actual question... Does anyone have any advice, pointers or things to check regarding my non-functioning sunroof? As a recap, I have pulled the panel down that houses the Map Lights and sunroof control switch and checked to see if the sunroof mechanism is jammed. It appears it is not jammed since it will move if I insert a standard screw driver into the slotted plastic shaft that the sunroof motor actuates. I am able to turn it freely and it moves the sunroof. There is a small black box to the right side of the motor and when I actuate the sunroof switch I can hear a relay switching on and off, but no motor movement

Is there a way to isolate this to a failed motor?

Old 03-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Sunroof motor, HNA1751AB, Jaguar list $303.00

I have a good used motor available for $150.00. Click on my screen name to send me a private message if you are interested. There you will find all the specific information on the company that I own and operate, along with a link to my webpage.

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care

Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Sunroof motor, HNA1751AB, Jaguar list $303.00

I have a good used motor available for $150.00. Click on my screen name to send me a private message if you are interested. There you will find all the specific information on the company that I own and operate, along with a link to my webpage.

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care
Thanks for the offer, and I will certainly take you up on it if in fact my motor is shot. But before I swap the motor out is there a relay or fuse I should look for first? I have checked the fuses under the kick panel and they all seem good.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Andy is telling you how to fix your problem, both past and present. And youre not returning the favor by even buying good parts he's offering at much less cost...the fact that the motor/ecu is clicking meens it has power..no other comment, buy his part or pay for advise. He's correct....

Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NorCal, your post is pretty old and I do not know if you found the problem. I have the saem issue with my 99. I have gone one step beyond and pulled the motor wire of and using an small external battery tested the motor and it works fine both ways. I suspect that the problem lies in the flat box that is attached on top of the cables, Need to get a workshop maunal to see what I could do there

Old 03-25-2023, 11:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry the bring up an old thread but I wanted to mention I have the same fault and I also tried a 12v battery directly to the motor and wouldn't you know it! the motor worked fine! I am sourcing a spare control module for the sunroof to see if that fixes it. I have checked for power coming out of the module and there isn't any, even though you can hear the relays clicking when they are supposed to. I suspect water has gotten into the module or just age has led to a failure internally that still allows it to appear to operate correctly (i.e. the sound of relays clicking) but not actually give the sunroof motor any power.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just stumbled across this thread as I also have the same issue with the sunroof not operating but the relay clicking when I press both the tilt and slide button. When you say control module do you mean the overhead panel with the sunroof switches on? I assumed that was fine as the relay makes a noise when you press the switch and the "P" button works when activating the parking sensors.

I can get a second hand unit easy enough so would be happy to learn if that was the fault. Did you get yours resolved with a new panel by any chance?

Cheers!

Old 04-26-2023, 04:16 PM

Hey, yes, a new control module fixed the issue. For some reason or another, it failed. Once I put the new module in making sure it is synced up using the procedure in the attached pdf the sunroof came back to life and works as intended. the control module for the XJR/XJ8 x308 model looks like this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/234333068319). It is located behind the overhead panel and comes out with minimal effort, there are videos on youtube which can aid you in visualizing this.

Attached Files
Old 04-26-2023, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, I actually have a 2011 XF so it wont be exactly the same. To my knowledge where is no control module and just the overhead panel but I could be wrong. I've never really looked for anything else up behind the overhead panel. Back to square one then for me maybe! Will investigate more tomorrow.

Thanks anyway for the reply!

Old 04-26-2023, 04:24 PM

Ahh, okay yea I think it will be quite different to the x308 XJR/XJ8.