XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof opens whenever I lock the doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018 | 07:57 AM
|
Default Sunroof opens whenever I lock the doors

I have a 1999 Jaguar XJ8. Whenever I lock the doors, my sunroof opens automatically as well as windows come down about an inch. I've tried the programming where you hold the button in vent mode but it does not work. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Old 01-25-2018 | 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

This problem is a bit of a perplexing one. First the doors and sun roof are not connected together circuit wise.
Please check one other thing before going forward. Make sure that the battery after sitting overnight is 12.5 volts or higher. If it is I would recommend you do a hard reset. That is done by removing the negative cable and touching it against the positive cable. This will cause all modules to drain and reset to their default settings. You will have to reset the window and the seats once done.
If the reset doesn't cure the problem then we will have to go to removal and cleaning of the BPM ( body process module).
Try the reset and let me know how that works out.

Old 01-25-2018 | 02:45 PM
|

Thanks Vern - It is a very strange problem indeed. On the plus side, it is consistent. I was wondering if it might be some kind of security feature that has gone wrong. I should have mentioned that I did try the hard reset with no luck. I had replaced the security control module about 6 months ago to resolve other issues. The battery is less than a year old but I will bring it by autozone and have them test it. Maybe I can clean the BPM if its easy enough to get at. Thanks! Kevin

Old 01-25-2018 | 03:26 PM

I don't have a sunroof on my car, but when my BPM played up, the problem was solved by running an extra ground down to the gearbox. Despite the BPM being attached to metalwork behind the glove box by three hefty bolts, the additional earth solved the issue. Maybe worth trying?

Old 01-25-2018 | 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

As stated in the previous post the BPM is behind the glove box. You will need to remove the glove box to access it. It is possible that you have corrosion on the connector. While you have the glove box out look for traces of water having come into the interior. There is a drain on each side of the windscreen and one on the wiper motor. If the drain on the passenger side ha debris or is plugged it will allow water to enter in the area of the BPM.

Old 01-25-2018 | 03:37 PM
|

Me again Vern - I just researched the BPM and read it is behind the glove box - I suspect you are correct and this is the culprit! I had another post that I thought was unrelated to my sunroof regarding water coming in the passenger side when raining...it comes in behind the glove box which is where the BPM is located. I tried to fix the leak yesterday and will know the next time it rains if I was successful. I'm going to remove glove box and see if I can clean BPM in the mean time. If not, I will replace once I know I fixed the leak. Thanks so much for your help!

Old 01-25-2018 | 03:47 PM
|

Thanks to you as well Nigel!

Old 01-25-2018 | 04:16 PM

Before tearing into things I believe your car is behaving as it should.. If you use the key and aren't quick enough or turn it to far it will roll down the Windows and I believe open the sunroof.. If you turn the key the other direction and hold it it will close everything... Suppose to be a convenience feature but I find it very annoying.. It's covered in your owners manual.

The following users liked this post:
kkelley (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018 | 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avern1
This problem is a bit of a perplexing one. First the doors and sun roof are not connected together circuit wise.
Seems Vern set you up in the right direction, but one correction here: The sunroof and windows ARE kind of connected.

If you use the key to lock the car, and you keep it turned longer than a second, it will globally close all windows and the sunroof.

I mention this, cause, if you then open the car within a couple of seconds of closing, the windows will crank open an inch, just like you say.
Strange thing, but it happened to several of us.
Maybe it helps if you can confirm the global function is handled by the BPM indeed.

The following users liked this post:
kkelley (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018 | 07:42 AM
|

Thanks All - this forum is the best! Skinnypuppy and Eric - you were right - I was not quick enough when locking the car with the key (my fob doesn't work)! As I mentioned, I do have water coming in behind the glovebox and I'm going to work on trying to make sure the drains are clear and I've stopped the leaks tomorrow. Thanks again to everyone - I really appreciate the guidance.

Old 01-26-2018 | 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Even if you are being quick it is not operating correctly. Skinny you are right about universal opening when you unlock, but his is opening when he LOCKS not when he unlocks.
I have universal opening active on all 3 of my Jag's and they all have to first unlock then turn the key and hold as if you are unlocking again and on the XJ8 and X-Type it opens the windows and sunroof. On the XK8 it lowers the convertible top.
The BPM receives the universal opening signal and then sends a signal to the Door Modules and Sun Roof module. They are independent circuits but are only common in that the BPM controls them.
You might try spraying WD-40 through the latch assembly on the door face in the event that a micro-switch is sticking but I think your problem is corrosion on the pins of the BPM

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
kkelley (01-26-2018), Norri (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018 | 01:04 PM

hmm well mine is an 01.. And if I'm not quick it'll open everything drives me nuts.. You had mentioned that on all three of your cars you have it actived.. Is there a way to turn off this feature??

Old 01-26-2018 | 03:04 PM
|

Thanks again Vern - I'm going to be removing the glove box tomorrow to try and see if I can clean the BPM and make sure I have the leak under control. And yeah, I would love to know how to turn that universal feature off too!

Old 01-26-2018 | 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer can access the the BPM and turn off universal opening. Things like universal opening and drive away locking can all be turned on or off.

Last edited by avern1; 01-26-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2018 | 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by skinnypuppy_22
hmm well mine is an 01.. And if I'm not quick it'll open everything drives me nuts.. You had mentioned that on all three of your cars you have it actived.. Is there a way to turn off this feature??
I’ve learned never to use the ignition key to lock or unlock the car. When I do, a high percentage of the time the locking process will cause all the windows to lower. (I’ve never checked the sunroof.)

The fob, on the other hand, was intended by the manufacturer for this very function and carries it out very well. My only beef with the fob is that it’s a little bulky, which makes it a bit of a nuisance to carry around.

If your fob is dead, it merely wants a new battery. It uses a CR2032 battery, the thin round one that is universally employed for home theater remote controls and such. They cost pennies — I buy mine 16 at a time on Amazon to power everything from my TV remote to my cycle computer’s heart rate monitor.

So a word to the wise: When you want to lock or unlock your X-308, give the job to the fob.