XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof opens wide when car is turned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof opens wide when car is turned off

Hey y'all!

I got out to my car 2 days ago (have not driven it for almost 2 days when i got out) and noticed that the sunroof was wide open and snow everywhere inside the car.. Of course it should happen at the wrong time of the year, in the middle of winter when it is guaranteed snow here..

My diagnostic around this problem:

-When trying to close it, it continues past it and roof is tilted. When the tilting is complete, it goes back down and opens wide again.
- when holding the forward button when the roof is wide open, it continues to close but can stop halfway. I wait for about 15 seconds i can close it.
- One touch open/close function does not work, i have to press the button several times to make the roof jump/skip into closed place.
- I can hear the relay for open/close clicking, even when the car is turned off.
-Closing the roof as much as possible does not really matter if the car is turned off. About 1 hour of waiting the roof opens again by itself.
- I do hear the motor of the gearbox trying to close but it cannot.
-The headlining or ceiling is hanging down a bit. So does the headlining on the sunroof. When tilted you can see the rear of the headliner hanging down.
-I have got some water dripping in my face from the top left corner, just above the driver seat.

I have tried
*Battery hard reset. Did not solve the problem, it opened on its own again and now the sunroof won't close...
*Drivers window works perfectly normal.

I was thinking if this could be moisture from the ice and snow melting on top of the sunroof. Last time i used the sunroof to open was December 23rd, it opened fine and also closed shut. Have not used it since.

After alot of reading on different threads, i did not comeby anyone having really the exact same issue?

/Will

Old 01-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,798 Likes on 1,320 Posts

I attached some TSB pdf's from Bob for review.

Do a search using... sunroof X308 and you can weed through them if those pdf's don't help. You may want to go to the "How To" thread in the Stickies at the top of this forum and search through those as well.

Also, you'll want to bookmark this... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource ...done by a site member, Gus. Those pdf's I believe are in Gus's site. If you start using it a donation is appreciated (and yes I've donated).