XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 329 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Sunroof problem

Hi all:
I'm up to my eyeballs in TSBs concerning the sunroof mechanism, but I still have questions. Here's my situation:

The sunroof on my '98 works properly except that it doesn't seem to know where it 'is'. For example, when I press the button to close, it closes, but only just shy of closed. Then if I press the button which 'should' put the sunroof in the vented position, it only just closes. Now I cannot move it to the vented position, either electrically or mechanically.

Because it operates so smoothly otherwise, my gut feeling is that this is electrical in some way, and I'm wondering if it may only be resolved by taking it to the dealer so that it can be hooked up to the PDU and/or be electrically 'reset' in some way - thinking that my independent mechanic might not have the PDU; which, at this point, is admittedly only an assumption. Or is there something mechanical I'm missing?

I would value anybody's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

You are not up to your eyeballs if you did not follow page 7 of the TSB 501-26.

A clarification of the module timing is listed in TSB 13-34 of the X300. (the sliding roofs ARE THE SAME)

You need to manually set the roof to closed (with a screw driver) and THEN set the module with the 'white dots' exposed/lined up. Reinstall the module and it is TIMED.

bob gauff

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
MidwestJag (07-20-2013), Rlover (05-27-2014)
Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

can someone please help me also -im having soet of a problem with my roof-i clicked on the link listed and it took me to unknown aereas -im not to good with computers i have to use the close button to operate my roof -i have to press the close button 2xs to open using the close part and then the close part to close but if i hold it to long it opens again HELP ME
DAVE

Old 07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Bob:
Thanks for helping me translate what seems at times like a foreign language to me! I now have my sunroof aligned. The good news is that it opens and closes with one touch of the button. But... Now I think there is also something more mechanical out of whack because a) the sunroof doesn't seem to open completely (it stops about 3-4 inches from what I think should be fully open) and b) the tilt function does not work. It tries to go up and then pops right back down to closed. I think I may just use it as is because the last thing I want to do is begin ripping the whole thing out. I am concerned, however, that perhaps whatever is preventing the tilt function is the very thing that forced the SRCM out of alignment. I guess we'll see. Thanks again!

Dave, click on the search button near to the top of the screen, select 'advanced search', type in sunroof and select the X308 section of the forum and hit search. A bunch of prior posts will come up detailing all sort of similar problems to mine and yours. One of the posts will contain the TSB that Bob described.

cheers!
Scott

Old 07-20-2013, 11:17 AM

MidwestJag
Sounds like you might have a broken component in the sliding roof mechanism on one (or both) side(s).

The roof needs to tilt up to get the interior panel OUT from the top/outside toward the back.

Then the 6 screws (3 on each side) can be removed for the metal roof panel.

The panel lifts off and the sliding components can be inspected/operated to see what is binding.

bob gauff

Old 07-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Well this is JUST GREAT!!!!
My newly aquired 2002 XJ8 has a malfunctioning sliding roof assy.
A customer could not pay for repairs so I ended up with this car.
I guess I will begin the diagnosis and repair of a car I don't need.

At least I have some used parts and a hundred hours of experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran member

Bob:
Oh, that's funny! At least I think it is. Now you've got more work to do. Well, if you need help aligning the SRCM, I've got your back.

I've thought about your previous comment about removing the metal panel on mine, and I'm concerned that it won't be able to be done because the roof itself will not go into the tilted position. I can't even do it manually. It all may need to wait until the headliner eventually comes out. But that may be some time.

Enjoy the new car!
Scott

Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM

Well mine won't go into the 'tilt position' either.
I WILL get it up if I have to push/twist and break it.

I only had the car here for engine and transmission issues.

The owner has family issues and can't afford the car anymore.

I can always lay on my back and push with my feet as the motor is turned.
If something breaks, I always have a few used sliding roof frames and maybe a good tilt/slide mechanism or 2. (and then there is always a salvage yard!!!)

bob gauff

The following users liked this post:
bigcat777 (05-27-2014)
Old 07-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys but i cant seem to understand what to do -i might just leave well enough alone but you guys are the best
from a proud jag lover
dave

Old 05-27-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts

I'e got the same problem. It starts after headliner lining was replaced. Do i understand right that if it's moving but do not stops in the closed position we just need to take out SRCM module, alligned two white dots and reinstalled it?
Manuall closing is just to set the right closing position?