XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharge bypass issue founded, need help fixing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Supercharge bypass issue founded, need help fixing - FIXED!!

Today found some interesting stuff about the Jag, took off the throttle body (my did have a gasket) and noticed the outlet hole, the section where the TB mount too, where there is a tube that leads to the passeger side exhaust, was total clogged with carbon. I clean it and it now runs smooth like its not even on (NICE)

Then I located the supercharger bypass plunger and it moves freely, the butterfly plate was closed, so I open it and it slap back closed. Thinking I found the problem, took it for a test drive and its the same, no super boost.

Got back home and tried move the plunger with the car running and I couldn't, so I turned it off, go back move the plunger and now it moves. I asked my son to start the car and the butterfly plate opens as soon as the car starts and closes when the car is turned off.

I am wondering, if a vacuum hoses is on backwards or do I need to change the bypass unit.

SGB

Last edited by sbreeden; 06-09-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Default Supercharge bypass issue founded, need help fixing -FIXED!!

NEVERMIND its FIXED!!, did the battery disconnect thing and man oh man, I can now smoke my tires. I can now hear the SC'er whine and my 0-60, per butt dyno and a quick glance at my watch is in the 5's.

I feel like Bubblebee in Transformers 2, when he thought he was going to college, (singing) I'm so excited!

Hopefully this brings my gas mileage up to the lowers 20 highway, was only getting 17 to 18 depending on the road inclines.

Last edited by sbreeden; 06-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sbreeden
I asked my son to start the car and the butterfly plate opens as soon as the car starts and closes when the car is turned off.

I am wondering, if a vacuum hoses is on backwards or do I need to change the bypass unit.

SGB
This is from Eaton website and it answered one of my concerrns about the SC butterfey plates;

Q: What is this black plastic object on the side of my supercharger? What is a bypass valve?
A:
That object is the bypass valve vacuum actuator. This unit has a vacuum port that connects to the supercharger inlet between the rotors and throttle body. This actuator opens and closes a bypass valve for the supercharger. This valve is open when throttle loads are low and closed when throttle loads are high. With the bypass valve open there is no pressure being created across the supercharger. This allows the supercharger to have an almost negligible parasitic loss in this condition. With the bypass valve closed, all airflow is routed through the supercharger and boost is created in the intake manifold. In some newer applications this actuator is also controlled by a solenoid.

SGB