XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger Air Cooler Inlet Duct question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017 | 04:05 PM
|
Default Supercharger Air Cooler Inlet Duct question

My 1999 XJR sucked a duct seal on a particularly cold morning here in sunny Northern California. I went about fixing it and decided the seals were about due. However, on reading on this forum about an old TSB on these seals that mine should have been replaced long ago with an improved part.

I ordered the seals and then discovered that the TSB calls for new plates. The seals themselves clocked in at over $120, but the three plates add a lot more. Are these plates essential? And if yes, can I scavenge them off a newer model at a wrecking yard? The seals are part number AJ86925, the plates AJ86926/AJ86927/AJ86928

Maybe a better question is how do I identify the parts in my cat now? I am the second owner, but I think it is likely the dealer would have performed the TSB for the first owner. Maybe all I need are the seals after all. But the existing plates have numbers 7771AD/C, 7772AE/C, 7773AE/C. Not promising. Anybody know?

On a related note, I have been having intermittent and unexplained "Engine Failsafe Mode' messages that I hope these parts may explain. There was never a OBD code thrown for any of the failsafe modes, and it may be it was sucking a bit of air out of school. Long shot, but I can have hope... any thoughts?

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Last edited by michaeldeanrogers; 01-06-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-06-2017 | 05:02 PM
|

I have answered my own question. I searched google images for the new part number and there it was... and it was modified from my part. I have the old defective one, no doubt, and now the only question is availability of the new part. Thanks.