XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger full coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:51 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Supercharger full coolant flush

I wanted to do a simple flush on my 2002 XJR (X308 SC) and the coolant coming out was somwhere between red and pink. It maybe a mixture of all the colors of the rainbow.
So now I am thinking to get all coolant out of the system and replacing it.

Draining the system via the radiator only drains about 5 liters from the 12 (Supercharger adds 2 liters I read).

After undoing the filler bolt of the SC (see https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-189565/), I get a bit more out.
(I used the back of a spark plug socket and a spanner to undo the SC bolt)

A couple of questions I hope some of you can answer:

1. I thought about simply dilluting the current coolant. In theory it would take about 9 flushes to get under 1% of current coolant (and over 99% distilled water).
Is this correct or are parts of the system that will not be flushed properly?
Would it be a problem if there would be 1% of red coolant (50/50) mixed with pink coolant? (I read red and pink should not be mixed).

3. An alternative to dilluting, would be to drain the engine block.
Following post describes how to drain the coolant from the A and B bank.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oolant-190749/
I am not able to locate the 17mm hex for the B bank nor the coolant pipe for the A bank. (Frankly speaking, I have no clue where the starter motor is located at).
Where do I find and access these points?

3. When draining the system with the SC filler open, I still see coolant in the SC. Is this normal?
Would I need to drain the coolant from the SC if I am doing a complete flush?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:57 AM

With thanks to M Stojanovic:

The drain plug of the engine is on the left side, near the back of the block. The picture is not very high res but it is probably the thing pointed at by the yellow line.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:52 PM

Can anyone please point me to the inlet pipe of the A Bank?

Old 09-30-2019, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 887 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by VivaJag
Can anyone please point me to the inlet pipe of the A Bank?
There are no separate inlets for the banks A & B. The coolant flows as shown on the picture (when the thermostat is open) - from the bottom hose of the radiator, pass the thermostat, to a short hose elbow down into the water pump which pumps the coolant into the banks A & B. You can flush the block if you remove the thermostat, plug the hole where the thermostat "foot" sits, put the thermostat cover back on and use the hose port on the thermostat cover to push water through. It will come out where the radiator top hose connects to the water manifold.

Last edited by M. Stojanovic; 10-01-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:18 AM

I thought about doing that. Just wondering how I would get the water out again... It is not distilled and water quality here is not very good.

On top, according to Don B in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oolant-190749/, it wouldnt work (?)

I maybe overthinking this.

Last edited by VivaJag; 10-02-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

I thought about doing that. Just wondering how I would get the water out again... .
Remove the plug on the engine block (it will drain both banks) and open the petcock on the radiator.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:44 AM

I found the plug. Got a 17mm bolt with 2 nuts to fit in the plug and I can just about reach it with a wobbler and an extention on my wrench.
The plug seems to be pretty stuck in there. No corrossion or leaks. Just a couple of Nm more than snug.

- What torque should be applied on the drain? Even if I get it loose, I want to make sure that I can get it back on again. (The plug on the super charger went with a lot less force.)

Old 10-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

I found the plug. Got a 17mm bolt with 2 nuts to fit in the plug and I can just about reach it with a wobbler and an extention on my wrench.
The plug seems to be pretty stuck in there. No corrossion or leaks. Just a couple of Nm more than snug.

- What torque should be applied on the drain? Even if I get it loose, I want to make sure that I can get it back on again. (The plug on the super charger went with a lot less force.)
I tried to undo the plug in the block on my engine with a proper Allen bit but couldn't make it move even with quite a bit of force. I decided not to take risks and gave up the complete coolant drain. The problem is that these plugs are, on most engines, never removed so the threads are probably seized. Tightening the plug back is not an issue as it has a composite washer so you just make it tight. The problem is to remove it after 20 years. You have to decide whether to go ahead and remove it (with an Allen bit) or leave it in place and just use glycol based coolant which is good for 2 years.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Thanks again.
I also gave up. i am now flushing the old coolant out with distilled water. Draining the radiator and with a hose through the thermostat housing (using a piece of garden hose and a funnel hanging a1 meter over the engine. Will keep doing that until all color is gone and then add pure coolant.