XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

supercharger growling, fault or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default supercharger growling, fault or not?

Hi guys,

Well ive finally got my 1998 XJR fixed and back on the road after a mamoth battle with electrical gremlins that were ALL down to the gearbox fault....Big thanks to Jim lombardi for all his advice....

However.......im a bit worried about the supercharger as it sounds...FANTASTIC!!.......Well, that is to say rather than the whisle id asumed it would have its got a really deep growl,(at least i think its the supercharger!?).. if it was a subaru or an impetza id just guess thats the way it should be, but it seams a bit too loud for it to be correct for a jag.......its quite loud.....the exhaust is standard and its definitetly comming from under the bonnet.
It really starts to grumble (not rattle or knock) at around 30mph and when you slow down from say 60mph to 10mph it sounds, and feels like it should be coming from an F type, however, the thing that makes me think its not right is when im going round a left hander at 30+mph, like coming off a roundabout, it goes quite for a few seconds, and i can hear the whining sound as if its getting lube all of a sudden, then when im straight and level again she growls........
I changed the supercharger oil when i got her, i remember that i sucked out very little, but it only took a small amount to start to come out of the filler so it must be at the correct level right?.....
Shes running spot on and there are no "bad" noises or feelings...so.....Is it normal for an XJR to growl rather than whistle??

Last edited by Howie; 01-22-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 420 Likes on 320 Posts

Rather than trying to describe the noise, take a cellphone video, and post it on youtube.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark SF
Rather than trying to describe the noise, take a cellphone video, and post it on youtube.
Ill try this weekend, just thought id post it now to see if it rang any bells with anyone..

Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts

Sounds more like the description of a bad wheel bearing.
Supercharger will be rattling at idle, as wheel as timing chains if bad. These noises are more likely to go away when driving.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,031 Likes on 811 Posts

Does this growl occur when it's first started up cold in the am and stationary, or only when the car is moving only? I guess I need a little more info.