XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

supercharger oil change notes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Some pictures

Originally Posted by vincent661983
picture means a thousand words,can some one upload photos here. I am not so good at mechanic stuff here,but still trying to DIY
Attached are 3 images. Looking down between the SC and the thermostat housing at the snout of the supercharger, you will see a black flat hex head screw. Loosen this and it should be easily moved with fingers.
I tried to simulate the angle I used to get most of the oil out.
Also the extract and fill tubes I used.

Hope this helps some.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails supercharger oil change notes-extract-fill.jpg   supercharger oil change notes-sc-fill.jpg   supercharger oil change notes-dsci0005.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by dsetter:
H20boy (01-05-2013), jag79 (06-20-2012), OnebadassXJR (10-09-2018), Platinum XJR (09-23-2013), wasp69 (07-31-2012)
Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,178 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by yeldogt
It would be interesting if someone would place a level on the supercharger top and report if this is level when the supercharger is sitting on a bench.

If so one could use the top of the supercharger to position the car tires in order to level it.

I can only assume that the supercharger is not level when the car is sitting on level ground -- as Jaguar has you remove the SC to fill it properly.

That way you could drive the front or rear tires over a suitable lift to level the SC.
Jaguar doesn't say you can't do it. They also make an assumption ... that the supercharger is sealed for life, and when it dies, you replace it with a new one and fill it on the bench.

However, to settle your question, you can lay a torpedo level on another suitable surface that is on the same plane ... the top edge of the valve cover.

The difference will be minimal and would not require a lift or ramps. A bottle jack would be quite sufficient.

Having said that, there are three mitigating factors:

-- any tilt of the engine is going to be higher at front and lower at back

-- the oil chamber is vertical so a given tilt will affect volume less than the same volume chamber in a horizontal chamber

-- the fill plug would be on the high side of any tilt

There are those that are happy to do maintenance as well as they can, and those who only want to follow "shop procedure".

Old 11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Plums: Please do whatever you want with your own car - and leave me to do the same ----- and don't assume when you can't.

Maybe someone else who takes a SC out can answer my question -- Wish I had done so when I had the opportunity at the dealer a few years ago.

Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found this image of the Eaton SC with its snout removed on the EuroToys website. I know certain refilling requirements have been argued in this thread, but again a picture always helps me understand. It does appear that the fluid chamber is tall and narrow and therefore would not be too sensative to a less-than-perfectly flat posture when refilling. One question, which way is up?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,355 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Good question our engines have the S/C installed upside down as the charge is routed through the intercoolers, the coupler fixes to the cog with the dowels, means that's the snout/pulley side.
Your picture shows it as it is on the engine. I've included a picture to show the snout side.

Below the cogs is a fluid sump, the cogs pick up oil. Too much and it could impact on bearing seals, extra heat and less power transfer.
Too low and it's the same again, except the S/C snout bearings will not as last long.

The cogs give us that compelling noise.

Attached Thumbnails supercharger oil change notes-dscf4597.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone thanks for the s/c oil change info I have just replaced the top and bottom ball joints and wheel bearings both sides my 95 XJR has travelled 136000klm no major probs everything works full service history I have owned her for 6 yrs or should I say she has owned ME next task s/c oil change Jimmy

Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 AM
Smile 95 XJR supercharger oil change

Hi everybody just got new oil for Eaton M90 s/c had to go to Holden dealer $93 for two bottles is this right or can you use a similar product from another manufacturer thanks Jimmy

Old 03-28-2012, 05:17 PM
Smile

Hi everybody just changed the s/c oil,the old oil was very dark brown and had a very strong smell not pleasant new oil in no noticable difference on sound or performance but peace of mind goes a long way will update on any developments jimmy

Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

I changed mine 2 weeks ago.

the old oil had a very unpleasant smell like rotten pork meat as what I can describe.

I could feel the S/C making much smoother noise instantly

Last edited by vincent661983; 07-23-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thread, thanks everyone. I tackled this myself a couple of weeks ago, and although I'd be kidding myself if I said I noticed a difference in the running of the car, I certainly feel better about it having seen the colour of the oil I pulled out!

Attached Thumbnails supercharger oil change notes-photo.jpg   supercharger oil change notes-photo2.jpg   supercharger oil change notes-photo4.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy XJR95
Hi everybody just got new oil for Eaton M90 s/c had to go to Holden dealer $93 for two bottles is this right or can you use a similar product from another manufacturer thanks Jimmy
Yikes! Buy it on Ebay. Even with shipping to AU it is going to be cheaper. The bottles are very light and small. Get the genuine stuff from GM. Or, if FORD has it, then it is the same stuff. In North America, most FORD owners needing supercharger oil buy the GM because it is cheaper, and always in stock.

You could also use one particular brand of aviation turbine oil, but it is not usually packaged in small quantities.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yeldogt
Plums: Please do whatever you want with your own car - and leave me to do the same ----- and don't assume when you can't.
The opening post was about changing supercharger oil. And not necessarily by the book. In fact the book "sealed for life" == "don't change it at all".

An attempt to answer your query in a reasonable, logical fashion with known facts is not an assumption. If you do not wish to accept the information that is up to you. If the method described is not up to your standards, then by all means, remove your supercharger and measure to your satisfaction.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM

Plums, I thought the information was very handy, and there is no way that I would personally recommend removing the supercharger just to drain and refill the oil. That said, if you had the blower off the car anyway, it would be more convenient!

My only doubt was where the fill plug sat relative to the level of the fluid (i.e. if they are bench-filled, I thought it might be possible that when installed the fluid line sat above the plug). In my case this certainly wasn't true, so I had confidence removing all the fluid I could, and then pumping the new stuff back in (got around 7oz in). Now maybe there is more than 7.3 oz of fluid in my supercharger at the moment, but I doubt it's far off, and I imagine it's doing a far better job than the last stuff was!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dstary
Plums, I thought the information was very handy, ...
Now, aren't you glad you put the paper towel down there in case the plug got dropped? Saw it in your pictures.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by plums
Now, aren't you glad you put the paper towel down there in case the plug got dropped? Saw it in your pictures.
I certainly am - I realised how important that was after I dropped a torx key trying to remove the plug!

Old 07-22-2012, 05:57 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean B
I was in my local tool shop today picking up some fasteners, and found this,

http://www.laco.com/pdfs/product_bul.../ZoomSpout.pdf

Bought 2 bottles and I'm going to give it a try, what made me decide was the fact it has a little spout that extends enough to remove oil and install oil into the S/C - and it's turbine oil! Magic!
Wow was that bottle a blast from the past 1958 or so. I remember bottles of ???? can't recall the exact name but it was the same type oil 3 in one. Thanks for sharing!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 PM

Hi the bottle thing with extension looks like the "ideal tool" for s/c oil removal and replacement what is actually in the bottle as a Scotsman, is important, you mention 3 in one oil, in the UK in the 80,s this was a fix it all from sewing m/c to bicycle gears and chains this is not the correct oil for your Jaguar s/c not being smart just a word of caution cheers everybody love this forum Jimmy XJR95

Old 01-05-2013, 03:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

This thread helped me out tonight changing my oil. I appreciate the data and information posted by several in there.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I now have the information needed to tackle this job next

Old 06-14-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default What is the size of the hex head screw?

I pulled the air inlet and tried to flush the S/C oil. But the hex is not 6mm like a drawing I found showed.
From the people here that changed the oil what is the size on a X350? A 5mm hex looked right but never went in. A 4mm was too small. Since Eaton is a U.S. Company, is this a SAE screw?

Quick Reply: supercharger oil change notes