XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Supercharger sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger sound

Maybe I'm just being hard of hearing or something, but I can't hear my supercharger as I drive and accelerate.
Granted, I don't know what to listen for.
I've had a turbocharged car so I know those you have a whine and then a release of the pressure, but nothing on my xjr.
Also, the car doesn't feel fast to me.
Can the supercharger not be working and not throw an error on the computer?
I just got this car the day before yesterday and can still take it b k if it's jacked up, but I'm just not sure

Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

Also, what model of supercharger is it that's on these to begin with, and who makes it?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:02 PM

I'll check time tonight.
What is kickdown?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

EATON M112

It's unmissable if you use kickdown, I wonder if yours has a belt connected, what is a rough 0-60 time on yours?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:07 PM

I'll check time tonight.
What is kickdown?

Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Nevermind, google helped me learn that kickdown is exactly what I was assuming it was

Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 PM

Belt is connected.
0-60: 6.8
That seems slow to me, maybe I'm expecting too much.
I definitely can't hear anything that sounds different than just a V-8 engine.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by vikemosabe
Belt is connected.
0-60: 6.8
That seems slow to me, maybe I'm expecting too much.
I definitely can't hear anything that sounds different than just a V-8 engine.

Any thoughts?
May also need to check the throttle cable adjustment, they have a habit of loosening off and only giving 70-80%.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM

I'll check that tonight.
Is it easy to locate?
I haven't spent hardly any time under that hood so far

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Had the car at a shop today and the consensus is that the water pump and thermostat are bad.
Not a big surprise given the tsb, I have new ones on the way already.

My big question is this:
Would that have made the supercharger shut itself down?
Like some sort of self preservation type of deal?

Old 11-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Vikes,

6.8 is REALLY bad bro. These SC XJR's should melt your face. Check your airfiler, better yet buy a Cold Air K&N, Change Your fuel filter, You are putting Super Unleaded in this car? After you have at the very least, changed the fuel filter, airfilter, oil change, run the fuel tank down and place 32oz of MysterOil into tank prior to fill up with Super-Unleaded. then check back. If it is still not pulling mid 5's on your 0-60 time. Take the serp belt off and try turning the supercharger by hand, if that is ok, it might be a clogged cats or your drive shaft bearing freezing up?

The following users liked this post:
IraG (07-19-2012)
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 PM

Had the car at a shop today and the consensus is that the water pump and thermostat are bad.
Not a big surprise given the tsb, I have new ones on the way already.

My big question is this:
Would that have made the supercharger shut itself down?
Like some sort of self preservation type of deal?
No that would NOT make the SC shut down. It is belt driven and spool up is metered. Have them change the fuel filter "trust me you do not want to do it, it on top of the rear axle", get yourself a KandN filter it is easy to install, run 32oz of Mystery Oil with SuperUnleaded through it a couple of times and this Car will SCREW.

If You have the money, get a upgraded pulley from Eurotoys, New Plugs from them, Change the read fluid and get a transmission service. I have Boral Exhaust on mine etc as well. sorry for beating this horse, but your XJR is a beautiful thing. Last piece of advice, get your self a "Code-reader"OB 2 campatible, this car will throw bullchit check engine light codes. You can turn em off yourself and save yourself a TON of money.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

The throttle linkage is right behind the engine (closer to the dash), and is a little metal wire which is exposed. it is spring loaded, so you can pull on it.

Rlover (11-06-2011)
Old 11-03-2011, 09:47 PM

Thanks all.
I'm gonna try and get under the hood tomorrow and start doing some work.
I'll check that throttle linkage first, and then check that the sc will turn by hand.
I haven't put gas in it yet, actually, but I'll definitely stick some mystery oil in the next few fill ups.
I also plan to do eurotek pulleys and ecu tuning, as well as Mina exhaust and the Mina air filter kit plus some cooling things.

Will let you know how things go.
May do the fuel pump when I'm working on the exhaust.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 AM

Vikes,

to my knowledge the ECU's must be sent out. IMO you would be better off buying your OWN tool for the price you would someone else to do it. "one size does not fit all" you can buy a tool that will clear Codes and also change air/fuekl/timing etc for about $550.00 bucks.

If it is REALLY an effort to turn your SC pulley by hand then your nose bearing is seized, you will notice also when running that the bearing will have a flat spot, you will see this in the way the pulley turns of the nose. depending on budget you may want to remove the SC and send it out to PSE SC rebuild($900.00) Labor and r&r parts/gaskets/hoses $1,000) then put the the new EuroToyz Belt and New Plugs in it. WOW.

BUT before you do this, I would recommend seeing if the motor has an issues. Whilst the car is running, remove the oil fill cap, Do you see ANY wispy smoke? If so remove the airfilter,ANY motor oil? If yes then your rings are bad. If no? then excellent.

One thing I would recommend doing is buying a Transmission dip stick from EuroToyz ASAP. Jag does NOT want you touching the transmission . Once you have the trans dip stick, check the level, "smell the fluid, put it on a paper towell, black flakes?)Your transmission in your Jag is actually a Mercedes Benz AMG transmission. Go to the MB dealership and by 16 quarts of the fluid. ($15.00 per quart). You WILL not find a Jaguar dealer that will do a transmission service, they will tell you that it is not recommended and bla bla bla (BULLCHIT) Go to Autozone and purchase a manual suction tool, it will have the hosing that you can take and push through the transmission fill tube, push it all the way to the pan, Have any empty Quart and start sucking out the old CRAP, making sure to keep track what your taking out. Take out 4 quarts and the fill it back up wi9th four new quarts and repeat. At EVERY oil change from now on as long as you own this Jag, remove four quarts of transmission fluid, then add back four new quarts. These transmissions are $4,500 at the dealer and $3,000 grand at a mom and pop trans place. Also GET the fluid out of the rear end ASAP.

Keep me posted. lastly like I said, you have to buy a code reader for this car, These car suffer from voltage problems and the CAN circuit will cause it to throw codes for no effing reason ALL the time, clear em your self. BTW, Ebay is your best friend, NEVER buy anything at a Jaguar dealer EVER.

best

rlover

Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 AM

I actually bought a trans filter and was going to do a service to it.
Should I not do that, but do the suck and fill method instead?
Why do that anyway?
Just curious, I'm new to jags and still learning about cars in general too.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Maybe I'm just being hard of hearing or something, but I can't hear my supercharger as I drive and accelerate.
Granted, I don't know what to listen for.
I've had a turbocharged car so I know those you have a whine and then a release of the pressure, but nothing on my xjr.
Also, the car doesn't feel fast to me.
Can the supercharger not be working and not throw an error on the computer?
I just got this car the day before yesterday and can still take it b k if it's jacked up, but I'm just not sure
This could be something as simple as a failed Bypass Actuator. The SC pumps away ALL the time, but when boost isn't necessary it just pumps in a circle through the bypass. (see attached) When boost is needed, the actuator closes and forces boost into the charge air coolers and engine.

Granted, they usually fail such that they are at full boost, but if they stick OPEN, they never have boost.

Just a thought.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Supercharger Bypass.pdf (129.2 KB, 488 views)
Rlover (11-12-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy
This could be something as simple as a failed Bypass Actuator. The SC pumps away ALL the time, but when boost isn't necessary it just pumps in a circle through the bypass. (see attached) When boost is needed, the actuator closes and forces boost into the charge air coolers and engine.

Granted, they usually fail such that they are at full boost, but if they stick OPEN, they never have boost.

Just a thought.
Ok, I've got the car apart now in the middle of doing stuff.
Will do more checking if it doesn't seem to be doing anything after I get everything back together.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 07:23 PM

I actually bought a trans filter and was going to do a service to it.
Should I not do that, but do the suck and fill method instead?
Why do that anyway?
Just curious, I'm new to jags and still learning about cars in general too.

Thanks for the help.
If you have the means then yes do a filter. BUt i would recommend at every oil change pull out 4 quarts. Definitly get a cold air intake, you will notice the pul at higher rpm's is superior

Old 11-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy

Just a thought.
Have you changed this valve prior? can it be r&r with out taking off the SC? MY SC operates as designed, however I would be interested in r&r if it was not an all day project? would you have a pdf that shows how o replace it?

Quick Reply: Supercharger sound