XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

SURVEY" What Do You Like Best About Your XJ/XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 2000 XJ8 VDP about a year ago, knowing it had engine problems. After 4 months of getting familiar with the sensors, wiring, and engine, I finally found the last problem and corrected it. What do I like most about this car? Everything, and I must say that after recently attending a major auto show, I like it even better. I'm 6.2 inches tall and after setting in all the new small, including Jaguar, cars it was so wonderful to go back and get in my VDP, with lots of room. And of course I only paid, including all the parts I put in it, about 8 cents on the dollar for it.
The styling is great, the smooth ride is without reproach, and as Jaguar says, "it is the ultimate in refinement."
I even love the round ignition key. Look at the wheels, they have precision machined holes and precision machined lug nuts, unlike other cars that have beveled lug nut holes. The differential is constructed with an external heatsink, and there are so many more "over engineered" features.
Recently I took the VDP on its first long road trip of 10 hours. It performed flawlessly as I expected it to. Cruising at 80 MPH with the prevailing traffic was effortless, and on a nice stretch I was able to get to 120 before having to slow for traffic. It handled at 120 just like at 60.
With proper maintenance and occasional repairs, I expect to get 300,000 miles out of this car, and when it does come time for another one, I'm going to find a low mileage one, just like it.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by linuxenigma
when it does come time for another one, I'm going to find a low mileage one, just like it.
Actually, after buying my VDP I think I have become partial to the improved value of buying a well-kept low-cost high-mileage vehicle... Certainly will never buy a new car again...

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, its been 8 days since I've owned my new-to-me ride. I like the looks best - nothing else like it on the road. The fit, finish, power, features, overall performance is right there at the top on what i like most about the car.
also like the sleeper factor and looks it gets.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's get up and GO!!

I rear view mirror the best of the hot rods!

Really cool ride.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Talking

I love the solid feeling when driving at any speed. I like the styling - I had a series III XJ6 before this 2001 VDP - I had the series III for 13 years and loved it. I love the leather and the wood and the carpet. The leather is a little more delicate than the stuff in Lexus' and German cars, but it is distinctive, and I take care of it. I especially love the V8, putting it in sport mode, pedal to metal, and watching the tach got to 6800 rpms in a smooth flash !!!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough call

I think the looks of the car inside and out are my number one love of the car. I get complements on the car 70% of the time when I get gas. A very close second on my 2001 XJR is that it is such a sleeper! I have gone toe to toe with 90's 911's and had a lot of fun. I talked with one opponent after a 40 mile back and forth in triple digit speeds and he asked me "what kind of engine work and mods I had done to the car". It was a great pleasure to let him know it was bone stock, just the supercharged XJR..
I am about to sell her, and it will truly be an emotional break-up...

Old 04-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker4
I think the looks of the car inside and out are my number one love of the car. I get complements on the car 70% of the time when I get gas. A very close second on my 2001 XJR is that it is such a sleeper! I have gone toe to toe with 90's 911's and had a lot of fun. I talked with one opponent after a 40 mile back and forth in triple digit speeds and he asked me "what kind of engine work and mods I had done to the car". It was a great pleasure to let him know it was bone stock, just the supercharged XJR..
I am about to sell her, and it will truly be an emotional break-up...

Triple digs?? WOW!!!

How'd you guys finally stop?

Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

From my signature pic, you can clearly see the best attribute of my XJR. It looks both Sexy & Fast, even when sitting still.
Originally Posted by linuxenigma
Cruising at 80 MPH with the prevailing traffic was effortless, and on a nice stretch I was able to get to 120 before having to slow for traffic. It handled at 120 just like at 60.
I've had the opportunity one time to go slightly over 140mph, and I have to say, I believe it was smoother than at 60mph. It felt like the faster I went, the smoother it got. Unfortunately, I ran out of road, because it kept wanting to accelerate. Things were going by pretty quickly, and it was on the Freeway in California, so getting caught would have spelled disaster.