XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

suspension mount damaged

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts
Default suspension mount damaged

My son accidentally drove into a curb that has caused some suspension damage. The front lower wishbone mount was pushed back about half an inch and now the whole suspension is back 1/2" due to bush movement. The sump was also dented on. Otherwise, no other damage and car drives OK.

What suggestions does anyone have to push the mount forward again? I was thinking that I could use some hydraulic jack to push it back. Tough to do without lifting the car off the ground.. Is this something I should attempt or should this be a body shop?
I do most of my own repairs
Thanks
Dave

Old 12-08-2013, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 254 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by dsetter
My son accidentally drove into a curb that has caused some suspension damage. The front lower wishbone mount was pushed back about half an inch and now the whole suspension is back 1/2" due to bush movement. The sump was also dented on. Otherwise, no other damage and car drives OK.

What suggestions does anyone have to push the mount forward again? I was thinking that I could use some hydraulic jack to push it back. Tough to do without lifting the car off the ground.. Is this something I should attempt or should this be a body shop?
I do most of my own repairs
Thanks
Dave
Holy cow Dave....did he think it was a Humvee! ;o)
By the sound of it, it's a bit more that just pushing it back.

Considering the design of the front suspension is meant to insulate the cabin from road noise, there are a number of factors in play here.
With such an impact, I would suggest that it has also damaged the subframe to body mounts on that side.

The front one is a 'V' design and is easily sheared.
The rear of the subframe is mounted in a large circular bushing which can become crushed.

IMO....this is a job for a competant body shop.
Of course, you can take the cost out of his hide later ;o)=)

Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

If you want to keep the job a reasonable cost, strip and rebuild the corner after it's been on an alignment jig. Quality 'automotive rectification' or body shops have something similar to an orbital jig. A wonderful devise that puts the bent parts back to spec' - shade tree might do the same with a porta-power hydraulic ram and deft work with a bfh...of course you won't know it's right until you have a laser alignment of the car's front suspension. If it's out of spec' then the time was wasted.

It's piece of mind to have it done correctly first time. Then give your son the bill in his Christmas card

Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Thanks, seems it is'just' the front wishbone mount that had moved. I have some pictures I will add. Can't take it out of his hide yet till he has a job and I guess I was the driver in command so my fault. I like the idea of the hydraulic ram. I understand I will need a laser alignment.