XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Swapping out TB did not work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 07:30 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Swapping out TB did not work.

Hello again, as some of you know I've been having issues with limp mode after a transmission swap. I had pedal position sensor specific codes, so I went ahead and replaced the entire throttle body along with the PPS. Cleared the codes and they reappeared within seconds. The car is still in limp mode. I'm assuming its a wiring issue, maybe some cable is broken or damaged, but what do y'all think? I was thinking maybe a hard reset will help, but I'm not sure. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2024, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 867 Posts

It certainly won’t hurt to do a hard reset. I’d have the key on engine off and clear the codes to see if there’s any hard faults that won’t clear. Double check that the individual pins are pushed into the sensor. It is also entirely possible that your TB you just put on could’ve had the same issue as yours.

The following users liked this post:
ericnunez (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,370 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by ericnunez
Hello again, as some of you know I've been having issues with limp mode after a transmission swap. I had pedal position sensor specific codes, so I went ahead and replaced the entire throttle body along with the PPS. Cleared the codes and they reappeared within seconds. The car is still in limp mode. I'm assuming its a wiring issue, maybe some cable is broken or damaged, but what do y'all think? I was thinking maybe a hard reset will help, but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Yes, a hard reset is worthwhile - but having it post on the first crank does lead me to think it's harness related. Not sure your model year, but there was a recall on one of the harness connectors for our cars that included a new 4 pin kit with gold plating to fix throttle body errors. Have you got the specific codes you can post?

Old 01-22-2024, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
Yes, a hard reset is worthwhile - but having it post on the first crank does lead me to think it's harness related. Not sure your model year, but there was a recall on one of the harness connectors for our cars that included a new 4 pin kit with gold plating to fix throttle body errors. Have you got the specific codes you can post?
Not the specific codes, but they were for Loss of Throttle Data, Pedal Position Sensor Fault, and some rear wheel speed sensor failure. It is a 2000 4.0.

Old 01-23-2024, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Wheel speed sensor fault. From what I've read, and experienced, these things can and do cause all sorts of headaches. If you can get a look at the back of the brake disc/hub assembly - check for anything out of order like a clump of grass between sensor and abs wheel, a cut/unplugged link lead from the wheel speed sensor, rust, etc. While in there, wire brush and blast it all with brake cleaner. You can also check the pulse by spinning the wheel and have a multimeter on the sensor connector, it's a basic hall switch.

The following users liked this post:
ericnunez (01-23-2024)
Old 01-23-2024, 02:15 PM

Wheel speed sensor fault. From what I've read, and experienced, these things can and do cause all sorts of headaches. If you can get a look at the back of the brake disc/hub assembly - check for anything out of order like a clump of grass between sensor and abs wheel, a cut/unplugged link lead from the wheel speed sensor, rust, etc. While in there, wire brush and blast it all with brake cleaner. You can also check the pulse by spinning the wheel and have a multimeter on the sensor connector, it's a basic hall switch.
I can check this, but are you saying that that wheel speed sensor could singlehandedly be causing the other two faults and limp mode?

Old 01-23-2024, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericnunez
I can check this, but are you saying that that wheel speed sensor could singlehandedly be causing the other two faults and limp mode?
Who knows, but most likely separate issues, get the Wheel speed one solved first.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:39 PM

Who knows, but most likely separate issues, get the Wheel speed one solved first.
Will do.