XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

swapping rear end

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017 | 09:45 AM
|
Default swapping rear end

So I have a USA- parts car- 2003 xj8 only 18,000 miles and a 1999 vdp driver with 150,000miles, and needs rear shocks. My question is would it be wise to swap the whole rear suspension and not just the shocks/springs??? This is something I would hire someone -not me- Thanks Ed

Old 07-04-2017 | 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on how deep your pockets are ....have you pulled out ye ol' measuring device to check fitment?

Old 07-05-2017 | 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

From a mileage point of view, some parts should be better on your 2003 car.
However, rubber bushings are also subject to dry rot at some time, a lot depending your climate, and where you park your car.

However, exchanging the shocks will have a lot of stuff loose, or easier reachable, so yeah, it might not be a bad idea to use the best parts of each car.

While you there, you might consider the differential too.

Last edited by ericjansen; 07-05-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-05-2017 | 04:26 AM

I would have used the parts car to learn from... an removed the whole rear axle as described in the manual, then i n turn dissasembly to smaller bits to se how evrything sits togeather, compare the parts with whats on the driver.

Then, a little more secure on how to deal with it, i would do the same on my driver, tidy up and restore/paint the best parts of the lot, build up a rear axle assy again and then install it all again.

I would spend some time to make sure the hub bearings (wheelbearing and lower arm bearings) are in good condition and are greased up propely as well as the drive shaft crosses.
Make sure to change oil in the differential.. its almost not possible when the axle is installed..

/E

Old 07-06-2017 | 07:08 PM

I'm in he middle of swapping diff for a friends car so maybe I can help.

if the parts car has few miles then it would be much easier to just swap the whole units. I've taken out the rear and in these cars more times than I care to admit, both using lift and on the floor.

A swap would be easy, loosen bolts near front of a-frame, remove main bolt, remove bolts on jurrid, remove bolts/release exhaust clamps, rear k-bar bolts then release all brake lines.

id recommend pulling whole frame out to assess and go from there. Likely just swapping parts one in would work assuming bushings and everything are in good order.

A-frame mount bushings, are easy to replace when out and aside from upper shock mount and spring bushings there isn't much else to replace.

remove as whole and replace

The following 2 users liked this post by Col. Sandurz:
edwood (07-07-2017), Highhorse (07-07-2017)