XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tappet noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:35 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Tappet noise

Hi all,

First off, my apologies if the post makes zero sense: I'm unsure of the proper terms in English for the issue I have.

The engine makes a clicking noise, which appears to be related to the hydraulic tappets or pushers (in French, the "culbuteurs" or "poussoirs hydrauliques", if anyone cares). There is little doubt about its origin, the noise is permanent including when the engine is warm and unrelated to the oil age.

On a regular car, it isn't too complicated to adjust their height and eliminate those clicks (so I'm told, never done it myself), but it does not seem to be easy on this V8... appears to imply removing the camshafts?

Did anyone do that already or can point me to a step-by-step tutorial ?

To complicate things further, I've got a new job, no longer home office... and no other car yet, so I need it up and running, and can't do anything requiring more than a week-end's work

Old 06-16-2019, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 888 Likes on 623 Posts

The tappets are not hydraulic. To change the valve shims without removing the camshafts, you need the Jaguar special tool (see pic at the link). The only source at a reasonable price seems to be Bosch Automotive Service Solutions (I got one from them at GBP 148 plus shipping - https://jlrequipment.service-solutio...px?SKU=303-540).

Otherwise, you should check whether the ticking changes when you load the engine, like when you engage "D" or when you switch the AC on. If, in this case, the ticking gets much quieter, it could be coming from one of the conrod bearings. If the ticking does not change in intensity, then it is probably the valve shims/gaps.

Jaguar V8 seems to be very sensitive to the valve gap - you need to get it spot-on to eliminate ticking. That is why, I believe, the Jaguar shims, which initially came in small 0.02 mm increments, were later revised to even smaller 0.015 mm increments. On the other hand, it has been reported that sometimes the injectors can make fairly loud ticking sound so, who knows.

My 4.0 Supercharged engine, after I recently fully rebuilt the heads, also makes ticking noise by about two tappets but it completely disappears when the engine warms-up. I am now going to drive the car for a few thousand kilometers for the valves to "bed-in" (I refaced all valves and lapped the valve seats) and then I am going to use my tool to replace any shims where I find the gap out of spec.

The following users liked this post:
Dutchy (06-18-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:37 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the detailed information.
I haven't noticed any changes in this noise, but I'll make some tests in D and with the AC.

The tool looks handy, although I confess that for the moment I don't really see how to use it. I'll look at the manual before going forward with this (perhaps wait until I get a backup car though)