XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tech help-sunroof motor sync and HVAC dampers

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Tech help-sunroof motor sync and HVAC dampers

It's the idiot transplanting the '01 XJR into the Mark 2. I followed the procedure for synchronizing the sunroof motor with the control module but can't get the motor drive to re-engage the cables. From the closed position with an 8mm gap between the drive dog and the guide rail step I've rotated the gearbox 1/4 turn counter-clockwise - and clockwise - but the motor just spins. Does anyone know how the motor/gearbox actually picks up the cables, or any tricks to this?

I've also got a problem with the HVAC dampers. The fresh air/recirc dampers on the blowers work fine but none of the dampers on the main unit housing the heat exchangers work. The manual controls for air distribution beep and light up but no damper movement for the different positions. The blowers will not work in the Auto/AC mode - I'm assuming this is because the AC system has not yet been charged with refrigerant. Wondering if this could be impairing the damper function, even in manual mode (where the blowers operate fine)?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Old 11-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Received 8,138 Likes on 4,910 Posts

The plastic center slot can be moved with a large flat blade screwdriver. To DISENGAGE the manual mode you need to turn the plastic center a little in the opposite direction until it CLICKS into place and engages the motor again.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Doug Dooren (11-12-2016)