XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tensioner failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tensioner failure

My pride and joy wouldn't fire so after some investigating If I have the old Tensioner and i can't see any cracks or wear on it but the chain is very slack would this suggest the Tensioner has failed I have relined the cams and the n/s is the newer Tensioner and new chain and no slack the o/s is the old Tensioner with enough slack to fit my finger under? Many thanks in advance Mick

Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Sounds like the tensioner has failed by allowing the oil pressure to escape and/or the plastic shoe is missing from the chain follower. The normal manner of failure is on the front side of the tensioner and is not visible in place. Obviously need replacing.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,796 Likes on 2,234 Posts

The fact that the car would not start may indicate cylinder wash, but as test point says the first order of business is the tensioner. If you were able to reline the cams by rotating the exhaust cam to tighten the chains there is a good chance valve damage did not occur. I would not try to start the engine again until the tensioner is replaced.

Please visit the new member area and introduce yourself and your car, and include the year and model in your posts, preferably in your signature. This can be done by opening the USER CP at the top left of the forum page.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Default Tensioner

Originally Posted by RJ237
The fact that the car would not start may indicate cylinder wash, but as test point says the first order of business is the tensioner. If you were able to reline the cams by rotating the exhaust cam to tighten the chains there is a good chance valve damage did not occur. I would not try to start the engine again until the tensioner is replaced.

Please visit the new member area and introduce yourself and your car, and include the year and model in your posts, preferably in your signature. This can be done by opening the USER CP at the top left of the forum page.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
At first I thought it was the crankshaft sensor as my obd meter had picked this up I changed this and nothing still not firing so next I thought it had flooded so took plugs out they were fine put a little oil in as suggested by someone else turned her over and still nothing next took cam covers off and noticed rh bank really lose compared to lh aligned cams and chain still lose took Tensioner off no visible wear and tear or cracks just doesn't seem to tension chain but have not heard of these failing like this

Old 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

When you work the piston of the tensioner does any oil come out? There may be a blocked oil gallery, but that seems unlikely. I would still be reluctant to try to start it until you have the tensioner issue resolved. It could skip teeth.
Another possible non start issue is the fuel pump. Find the Schrader valve on the fuel rail (tire valve) and with the ignition on depress it to see if you get a healthy spurt of fuel. Have a rag under it.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Default Tensioner

When I press the Tensioner between my fingers oil comes out of like a ball bearing on the side
Will try and test the fuel pump but don't seem to think this is the issue as you could smell fuel as I was cranking her over

Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

If you smell fuel while turning over you may now have cylinder wash on top of your other problem.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Oil is supposed to come out of the hole in the face that contacts the chain. I just saw an episode of Goss' Garage (a car show) where he explained how the chains get lubricated through a hole in the cam chain tensioner (on most modern cars). The main theme of the show was "don't buy a cheap oil filter or you may have cam chain failure". A piece of oil filter material can clog this hole. Just thought I'd throw this in, although probably irrelevant to this issue. Cheers.