XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Testing Front Seat Functions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Testing Front Seat Functions

Hi all. I finally got myself the front seats that have the heated option, along with memory and all the usual functions you get with a VDP model. The seat coverings are Oatmeal with a different colored piping, in great condition, but totally different to my Ivory interior. I've removed the covers, foam, everything right down to the frame on one of the front seats (the electrics, relays and modules still connected).

Before I fit my own covers and it all back together, then into the car, it seems sensible to test all the functions... lumbar, headrest up/down, seat fore and aft etc. If it's possible, I would also like to check if the memory function works (I have the switch panel that fits to the driver's door). I got a spare connector to the seat, the one that comes from the floor of the car, but I am unsure which wires should connect to a battery to do any tests, even if it is possible?

Maybe it's possible to earth the frame, then check each individual function by connecting a live to 'whichever' wire? Maybe it's a simple case of fitting the connector to the base of the seat then connect that to a battery and use the seat switches?

I'm rubbish with electrics, any advice/diagram and some ideas of how to check would be gratefully received.
Paul