XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Is There A Really Usefull Flashlight?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:49 PM
|
Default Is There A Really Usefull Flashlight?

I have number of flashlights and trouble lights but it seems none of them can be set in a position that is helpful when working on my cars! Does anyone have a recommendation of a light that will fit in a tight space and be positioned where the light is needed? Even a headlight is only so useful as you need to hold your head in a particular position to see your work!
Any recommendations welcome!
Signed, aggravated 308 owner.

Old Yesterday | 05:58 PM
Veteran Member

The question is a bit off-topic, but here is my answer:
I use skyray torches. They have an aluminium housing, are very bright and use 4 x 18650 rechargeable batteries. A battery charge lasts very long. This torch comes without magnets, which would allow you to attach it just anywhere on the car, but nothing stops you from attaching a few very strong Neodym magnets with silicone to the torch. You find them on ebay, They come in many variation: Different amount of super bright light bulbs (CREE). I got a lot of those torches ranging from 3 CREE to I think 12 CREE, but frankly, 3 CREE is more then enough.
You will need the torch, 4 or 8 18650 rechargeable batteries and a matching charger for those.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (Yesterday)
Old Today | 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I've been using these I bought about 6 months ago, they come in pairs, triples & quads...
Amazon Amazon
...the base is magnetic, which is great if where your working is steel. Wouldn't recommend them for constant shop work, they hold a descent charge for home garage projects, but not for the all day tech grind. They charge fairly quick and are small with the adjustable head to get into tight spots. Just used one to get to the O2 on the back of the engine of my front drive work van. Found myself using the little light on the tip for that project, never thought I'd use it when I got them. Having two is helpful, used together or one as standby.
These will be being put to use again very soon. I have motor mounts, shock bump mounts, transmission mount and a water pump gasket to be done on the 308.

The thing that is poorly designed to me is the charging port, I want to rip off the rubber grommet cover, but if I do then crap gets into the port. They made the charger cord white, that didn't take but the first project for it to become discolored.

Overall, for the price, it's tough to beat and way more handy than the old treble/shop lights. There are many of these available and in different brightness's, I recommend shopping them, everyone has a flavor.

Old Today | 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
I've been using these I bought about 6 months ago, they come in pairs, triples & quads... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RC6KP19...sin_title&th=1 ...the base is magnetic, which is great if where your working is steel. Wouldn't recommend them for constant shop work, they hold a descent charge for home garage projects, but not for the all day tech grind. They charge fairly quick and are small with the adjustable head to get into tight spots. Just used one to get to the O2 on the back of the engine of my front drive work van. Found myself using the little light on the tip for that project, never thought I'd use it when I got them. Having two is helpful, used together or one as standby.
These will be being put to use again very soon. I have motor mounts, shock bump mounts, transmission mount and a water pump gasket to be done on the 308.

The thing that is poorly designed to me is the charging port, I want to rip off the rubber grommet cover, but if I do then crap gets into the port. They made the charger cord white, that didn't take but the first project for it to become discolored.

Overall, for the price, it's tough to beat and way more handy than the old treble/shop lights. There are many of these available and in different brightness's, I recommend shopping them, everyone has a flavor.
This one I have them it's very useful and it can change the light color to red in case you stopped besides the road