XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Thermostat Housing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thermostat Housing

Hey all,
My upper radiator hose blew off the thermostat housing. I could see where the neck was broken off. Anyway, I am replacing the thermostat and the thermostat housing. My question is: Can I put an aluminum housing on the plastic thermostat housing assembly? Do I need to replace the whole assembly? I hate to take it a part if it is not necessary.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

the thermostat housing is a one piece, you can get a good quality on for around $40 and a better one for $50.

Old 02-13-2017, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

While you're at it replace the short connecting hose and the plastic crossover pipe, which may well break while working. Then inspect the two big radiator hoses and be careful you don't break the small plastic pipe. All that plastic stuff gets brittle.

Have the secondary chain tensioners been replaced?

Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM

There is only 68K on the engine at this time. Do the tensioners need replaced? Plus I am not looking to take the engine more apart if not necessary. The thermo housing on mine is a two piece. There is the whole assembly which has the thermo housing on it. The assembly is plastic and the housing that broke is plastic. I want to know if it is ok to bolt the outer thermostat housing, on top of the thermostat, to the plastic thermostat assembly? I will try and post a picture up later this evening. Maybe that will clarify what I am asking.

Old 02-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Pale340
There is only 68K on the engine at this time. Do the tensioners need replaced? Plus I am not looking to take the engine more apart if not necessary. The thermo housing on mine is a two piece. There is the whole assembly which has the thermo housing on it. The assembly is plastic and the housing that broke is plastic. I want to know if it is ok to bolt the outer thermostat housing, on top of the thermostat, to the plastic thermostat assembly? I will try and post a picture up later this evening. Maybe that will clarify what I am asking.
Tensioners can crack at 40k miles or 140k miles, don't know when they will but they will. All you have to do is remove the valve cover gasket and check.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

What he means is remove the cam cover. You do not need to separate the gasket from the cover. The right side is easier. As regards the need to replace the tensioners, use the search function and see the threads reporting failed tensioners that resulted in engine destruction and others who found cracked bodies in the process of failing.

There are many repairs/ updates needed on these cars, and it would be to your advantage to spend some time reading about the experiences of others.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the input all. I will certainly read up on the tensioners and check them out since the car is down for maintenance right now. However, I still need to know your opinions on bolting the aluminum thermo housing to the plastic thermo assembly.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I don't see how that is possible. The plastic and the aluminum are both all one piece.
Can you take a picture of what you are looking at?

Old 02-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Replace the entire part. One time and never again. The plastic one will crack soon...

Old 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

As I understand your post you want to just bolt on the thermostat housing to the existing plastic tower. If so you really aren't saving anytime since you will have to go back again in the future and change out the tower. The plastic is subject to heating and cooling so it hardens and will not might crack.
The easiest way to remove the tower is to take a large pair of pliers and break it up in pieces. That will give you the access to the rear fastener and save removing the intake manifold. Replace that bolt with an allen head bolt and you can easily put it all back together.
Follow the previous advice and replace the plastic pipe and hose attaching to the tower. You want have to go back in there for a very long time.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (02-14-2017)