XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Thinking of buying an xjr

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an xjr

Like the title states, I'm looking at buying a 1999 xjr. I already own an 02 xtype sport, but saw an xjr for sale in my area for $2000 obo. The car runs and drives, but has a misfire. I've read about problems with the timing chain on these vehicles and was wondering if the chain could have just skipped a tooth due to a failed secondary tensioner or if this deal really is too good to be true. The way I see it is that the car is worth $1800 in parts not running, so I will be able to get my money out of it. Are misfires common enough problems with this car that I should not be worried about rings being shot and this could be a diy fix? Thanks in advanced!

Hopefully I get to know the 308 xjr crew as well!

Old 12-07-2011, 03:54 PM
JWT
Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts

Misfire can be caused by a multitude of issues, like on any other engine, but in my experience, the tensioners caused a very rough idle after skipping a tooth. One tooth - rough idle - Two teeth, valves into pistons!!. After replacing chains and tensioners, I have never experienced misfire trouble ( Touch Wood!)

I have heard of several people on the forum picking these cars up in that price range, usually with something like failed tensioners. Wish I could find one!

You are right, if you had the time and space to part the car out, you would easily recover your investment.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I would propose that you need a lot more information for an informed decision on this purchase. If misfiring there is certainly a CEL. What codes? Lots of things will cause misfiring besides cam timing. Without additional information there is plenty to worry about.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

JWT, I am really crossing my fingers that the only thing wrong with the car is the tensioner, but as for buying any half working car, you got to know what you're betting on and also know when to fold
test point, I agree with your statement that there is plenty to worry about. I was able to talk the guy down to $1500 and he even told me that it has new wheels and tires! I could make half of my investment back just by selling those! Then I would expect I could make a bit more back with supercharger/easy interior pieces. The guy doesn't really speak that much english, so it was really hard communicating with him, but he said that there is a noise coming from the right head. The car has 113k on it too which makes me think more and more that this could have something to do with the tensioners. Unfortunately, the car is located an hour away from my home so going down there to read the codes will be quite a chore, but I definitely think it's worth it. What do you guys think? Should I see how low he will go with the price and then just jump on it and if shtuff hits the fan then I can still make my initial investment out pretty easy by selling easy two bolt take-off parts?

Thanks again for all of your advice with this!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

The only thing more expensive then a cheap Jaguar is a cheap Mercedes.

Unless you want to buy this car and attempt to make some money parting it out I would look for a different car.

If you knew the history of this car it may be a different situation -- but with the miles -- it could need a lot ......... and the 1999's are not a good year.

The fact that the current owner does not want to keep it should tell you something.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

If you are, indeed, in a position to part out a car you probably can do OK to great at that price. Remember that 'new tires' over the phone has a broad range of definition.

I seriously considered parting out a great '00 XK8 after it was totaled with me in it. Easy financial decision, harder storage, dismantling, when to scrap the remains, and spouse situation.

Perhaps it is a true gem. Go see it.

Last edited by test point; 12-07-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

yeldogt, I already own a jaguar so i know the basis of being a "cheap jaguar." Basically right now, I am thinking that I should be looking into parts for that price, or talk him down to $1200 and jump on it. Who knows, it could just be the tensioner, and if so, I will have made phenomenal profits. Thanks test point for your advice about the part out! I don't really have the spouse problems right now seeing as I'm only 17 :P but I do need to find some space. I have a whole two car garage at my disposal, yet I might need a little bit more for when I actually get the thing apart. How much do you think I can make off of the car doing a liberal part out job and not really digging into it that hard? Is there even a market for the parts for this car? I would just assume that there would be a market seeing as how the xjr was a pretty rare car and used parts for it are probably in short supply. I have an obdII scanner in the mail that I can hook up to the torque app on my phone that I will take down there to get an idea of how the engine is running, and what kind of codes it is throwing. At this point in time however, I am just running on the idea that it will be a part out job! It might mean cheap parts for whoever needs them down the road for their x308!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Just spent an hour running through parts I could sell on the car, and got through about 25 when I found that if I sold the parts for the cheapest on the market, I would get around 4k without the transmission or engine! Of course, I will not be able to sell all of the parts just due to there being no demand for certain parts, but I was still very amazed! Do you think this would be a good idea?

Old 12-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Well for this price I really think it's good idea Even - if you have the space and knowledge a better choice would be not selling part by part but to buy another one and have it as donor. For 1500$ you could start a very interesting project and bring to life such a beauty

Old 12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Estilian
Well for this price I really think it's good idea Even - if you have the space and knowledge a better choice would be not selling part by part but to buy another one and have it as donor. For 1500$ you could start a very interesting project and bring to life such a beauty
This is what I want to do, but I really don't think I will be able to find another one for anywhere close to this price. Basically, I'm going to try my luck with the car and see if it is a small problem. If it's a larger problem than I expected, then I will just part out the car to make back my initial investment and then some. Either way, I don't think I will lose money (important) and I will get to work on my dream car (also important.)

Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 297 Posts

Once you start factoring in the time and the shipping -- the profits are small.

It sounds like a good idea -- maybe you should try it so you know.

It's like walking the Appalachian trail -- driving from Miami to Key West -- driving across the USA ..... they all sound fun on paper.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

dang yeldogt.... Don't really know if I should go for it then...

Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Received 110 Likes on 83 Posts

if you have access to a garage, a bunch of tools, and a bunch of time, it sounds great. Probably a money pit otherwise... If you're like me, even a car that's in great shape can eat up a lot of time with small fixes. And you're right, that price is very good and I have never even heard of one going for that kind of money, lucky find (CO has a lot of those I guess!)

Good luck

By the way, the car youre looking at appears to need at least $1.5k in bodywork.

Last edited by Ipc838; 12-08-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Clements, I know thebody work aspect, but if I were just going to use the parts, thats very minor. Probably a larger headache if I actually get the thing running. I love co because of the amazing cars we have. I bought a 75 dj5d for $250 and a 89 cherokee for $200.