XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Thoughts on this '99 XJR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012 | 01:18 PM
|
Default Thoughts on this '99 XJR?

Wow, just drove my first XJR, what an awesome car! Thought I'd post it here to get some feedback and in case someone else in the Atlanta area wants to go look at it.

Used 1999 Jaguar XJR For Sale | Atlanta & Union City, GA | SAJPX1849XC864532

131,xxx miles, 7 owners(!) according to the Carfax the dealer pulled, one report of damage to the right rear, which is probably what you can see under the right tail light. A little scuff to the left front bumper corner, about a 6" crack in the windshield under the mirror, and a small pea sized paint chip on the driver's door.

I've only looked at a few XJs in person, but I thought the interior of this one was really nice. The wood on the driver's door had several cracks in it, but none of the other wood did. The cup holder, console lid, glove compartment, and ashtray lid all worked fine, as well as the visors and their lamps. Moonroof opened and closed nicely, and all the buttons/switches/stalks seemed to work EXCEPT the driver's door control, which none of the buttons worked, and the driver's power seat button panel was loose/out but still worked. Headliner had sagged in the rear and someone stapled it up, and it was a bit saggy under the visors. Antenna works, and the hood and trunk lid open and close properly. CD changer was there, and even had a magazine in it.

Started it up from cold (45ish) and no odd noises, ticking, or smoke. It drove out well, seemed to shift alright, and didn't have much in the way of squeaks, rattles, or wind noise. The tires are 245/40R19 Goodyear Eagle F1 somethings, and the wheels had Jaguar centercaps but I don't know if that makes them Jaguar wheels or not.

They're asking 5995 for it, which seems a bit high for this vintage with that many problems. After I drove it and told the salesman I'd probably pass because I was really looking for a black or grey one and this one had a lot of little issues he sicced the sales manager on me. He asked if there was a number they could say to make me reconsider, and I said, "Well, if you said something crazy like 4k we might have to talk more," and that didn't seem to faze him too much so now I'm wondering.... I think at 4k this car would be a deal, assuming a mechanic checked it out, including a compression test. I doubt they'd go that low, but how about 5k? I'd probably still pass for a black/grey/charcoal one, or even BRG, but I kind of like the white on chrome look, so I don't know...

Thoughts anyone?

Old 12-28-2012 | 04:03 PM

I like it but, the headliner has to go. Research the "99 XJR" posts for any issues that normally arise, get those checked by a mech.

Old 12-28-2012 | 05:16 PM

That's an X308, you'll have a lot more luck posting in that section of the boards.