XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Throttle body issue - it's back!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

A cheap scanner starts at about $10. It'll last longer than the car and work on all modern cars. There's no real excuse whatsoever for anyone vaguely doing DIY not to have one. You own a screwdriver, a hammer or a spanner? So get a scanner.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Had a play with a friends bluetooth ODB2 scanner tool last night, but it wasn't connecting.
I'll try again in the weekend and see if I have more luck

Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

It'll usually only work in ignition II or engine running (latter is best so you don't flatten your battery). Most have lights to show power & activity. If no luck, check between pins 4/5 (both ground) and 16 you have car voltage (12.6 or so).

Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell_nz

smtguy, the cable ties were put around the plugs on mine because one of the plug clips had broken off, which isn't entirely surprising for a 14 year old piece of plastic in the engine bay. I recall seeing somewhere that the TPS has a seal or gasket around it, which may deteriorate and let dirt/dust/general crap in, which could cause faults, but I believe the main issue is due to corrosion in the plug caused by using different metals on each side.

Another good clean, some dielectric grease might be all it needs...
Grandell. I had to re-read your post a couple of times to understand where you were going with the dielectric grease. If I understand correctly, you mean to grease the connector housing to seal out crap getting to the pins, correct? Since dielectric grease is electrically insulative, it should be kept off the pins.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

We have been down this road with the dielectric grease and it is ok to use it and I recommend it but use it moderately. Yes we know that it means but what it does is reduce oxidation of the contacts and the strike value will create the contact.

The following users liked this post:
smtguy (01-19-2014)
Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM

Small update...
Had a couple of mates around in the weekend and we removed the intake, checked over the throttle body, which looked all fine, removed the cable ties that were around the TPS plug and re-did them better.
Also checked and cleaned the front wheel speed sensors, but they were actually in very good condition. A quick squirt with contact cleaner and straight back in.

The car's at the local Jag dealer today getting a WOF, and while it's there they're going to check the fault codes properly and inspect the front brake rotors as they'll need replacing very soon, if not now. Time to make another call to the friendly FCPEuro guys

Assuming everything goes smoothly, then it will go back to my audio friend to finish the install and put in the new battery.

As for the throttle body issue? We're gonna run with the cable tie solution for a while, along with the new battery, and see how it goes. If it does it again over the next month or so then it looks like the ASI rebuild will be next

Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
Hi all,

Back in March last year I got the dreaded TPS error. I took it to a couple of mechanics, and after charging me rather a lot of money, the problem was 'fixed' by wrapping a cable tie around the TPS.

Since then I had 7 months of trouble free motoring, until I took the car away over the Christmas holidays, when the issue came back... with a vengeance.
ASC Not Available, TRAC Not Available, Restricted Performance. Yay.
Now I know this has been covered several times, and I've searched the threads, but I would still like to run through some options and get people's opinions before I spend too much money chasing rabbits.

The problem only seems to appear when off-throttle, or sometimes very light throttle, ie cruising at a constant speed, or more usually, when getting off throttle to reduce speed when coming up to a small town.
This is the good news I guess, as every time it happened I was always able to safely pull over and find somewhere to stop, turn the car off, wait 5 seconds or so, then start the car and head on my way again. I would hate to think what could have happened if it did it while I had my foot down going up a hill, or overtaking, especially on New Zealand's narrow winding roads.
This isn't a constant problem either. Usually it doesn't happen until I've been driving the car for a while, perhaps 20-30 minutes. But after it does it the first time, it seems to do it a lot more often, sometimes every 5-10 minutes for the next hour or two. But then sometimes it will go for hours without a single issue. There was one point in our holiday where we had driven for about 900km over a period of days before it happened again.

Some of you may have seen the pictures of the stereo installation I had done before I went on holiday, and while this work was being done the battery went flat (for the second time in the 4 years I've owned the car). The car also came back covered in workshop dust, so I'm wondering if part of the problem could just be dirt in the throttle body assembly?
Now every time I mention this, the first thing people say is "replace the battery!", but I'm not convinced it's actually the problem. If it was, I would expect to have trouble starting the car, which I don't, and I would have thought the problem would happen more regularly, which it doesn't.
Also, I had the codes checked after it happened the first few times, and I can't remember the exact code, but the Jaguar mechanic who plugged in the diagnostic machine clearly showed me "TPS Error", and nothing else.

However, because of the stereo work I am doing, I am looking at upgrading the battery anyway. It's going to take a while to order in though, and I would really like to get the throttle body issue sorted properly, rather than waiting to see if the battery makes a difference.

So now for my options... in no particular order, based on what I've found from searching on here.

1) Test/Replace the battery
The battery I want is $900, and will take a while to get here. I could try another battery, but given the problem is intermittent, it could take weeks before I could confirm whether it has helped or not
2) Replace the throttle body with a used one
Possibly cheaper than a new unit, or a rebuild, but first I'd have to find one, and wreckers here charge A LOT for parts, and even then, there's a chance the replacement unit could have the same problem. This is assuming can even find the correct unit (LNE1560BA for the AJ27 not AJ26)
3) Have the throttle body rebuilt, most likely through ASI
I'm not even sure what they do to 'rebuild' these. Will I get a new TPS and TPPS, or do they just give it a clean and stick it back together?
4) Remove the throttle body myself and clean it myself
I believe the unit was given a quick clean when the issue first came up, but I have no idea what condition it's actually in
Bonus Option 5) ASI rebuild + Maxbore
Just cos. Actually, it saves double handling, I could get the unit rebuilt by ASI, then get it sent straight to Maxbore, saving myself a heap in shipping costs. Do it once, do it right etc etc
So... who's had actual experience with this issue, and with any of the solutions/companies mentioned above?
Are there any other options I've missed?

I really need to start making calls and see if I can get some confirmed prices for a used throttle body assembly, and get an exact ETA for a new battery, so hopefully I'll be able to update this soon
I have had same symptons with brand new AJ26 TB which was bored to 81mm. The orginal, old TB worked well, but with bored one I got serious problems when cruising with stable throttle position, sometimes with very light throttle and a few times during overtakings ( very dangerous ) , engine lost rpm's suddently without any reaction to the gas pedal. Cruise control did not work and got restricted performance mode after few miles. When I got car stopped the engine run idle very roughly a few seconds under 400rpm and then died. Immediate restart - no problems. Engine runs well and throttle works normally. We changed orginal TB back and all the problems were away. Then we wanted to test once more with bored one and same problems - again back to stock one. Everything was fine. Now I have bought one more used TB, which will be bored. Do you think this was the same TPS based problem???? Interesting it was with brand new TB. Maybe something happened during the bore job....

This guy also had problem with TPS: http://www.jeevesandthejaguar.com/20...-resolved.html

Last edited by XJR-99; 03-22-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:49 PM

Sounds exactly like what mine did. Where did you get the new TB from? Was it a rebuild, or brand new Jaguar stock?

My advice would be to take off the intake and get a good look at the TPS plugs, and see if either of the plastic clips are broken. Then check all the pins for corrosion, on both male and female ends. Finally, I still stand by the 'cable tie' method of fixing it. You should be able to wrap a thin cable tie (or two, joined together) around the plug so that it's pushing directly in the direction of the plug.

If it's corrosion, or a loose connection/plug, this should fix it, for a while at least. I'm coming up two months without a single recurrence

Old 03-23-2014, 12:25 AM
Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by grandell
Sounds exactly like what mine did. Where did you get the new TB from? Was it a rebuild, or brand new Jaguar stock?

My advice would be to take off the intake and get a good look at the TPS plugs, and see if either of the plastic clips are broken. Then check all the pins for corrosion, on both male and female ends. Finally, I still stand by the 'cable tie' method of fixing it. You should be able to wrap a thin cable tie (or two, joined together) around the plug so that it's pushing directly in the direction of the plug.

If it's corrosion, or a loose connection/plug, this should fix it, for a while at least. I'm coming up two months without a single recurrence
It was brand new one. They are quite cheap for AJ26s.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:05 AM

Bugger... If it hadn't been bored out you could just return it