XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Throttle response under low load

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2023 | 07:56 AM
|
Default Throttle response under low load

Good day to everyone, glad to become a member of such a great community and knowledge base. I would like to sorry for creating new thread on my first day here, but I've already spent some time digging bulletins and throttle trouble shooting topics but somehow didn't sucseed much. So, my 3.2 sounds and pulls like a dream, tranny has been overhauled by ZF officials for 2k grant, since then shifts really nicely. But when crawling in traffic jams car acts slightly inadequate. Narrative is genarally always the same: I'm rolling on D with idle speed, then push pedal really gently and at first engine respond is linear but then there are this extra 1-2mm of pedal travel where noble pace ends and car leaps forward, not dramatically, but enough to disturb passangers. Scanner shows no error codes and car is mechanically stock despite the fact that Mr. Previous owner removed the cats and equipped 2-nd oxygen sensors with some sort of fooling device making them send perfect data to ECU, I'm not an expert but exhaust smells like slightly rich, I've never seen any further causes to concern tho - no black smoke when I floor it, no black deposits on exhaust tips after long trips. So where should I start from? should I check throttle pedal positioner for or there are ways to calibrate throttle flap anyhow? Or maybe its all meaningless until fuel mixture quality is unkown? Please let me know your opinions and thank you in advance!

Old 04-26-2023 | 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

There used to be a guy in Nikolaev who was very good . . . however . . .

Old 04-29-2023 | 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

If the ECU is getting what it needs data wise it shouldn't be running rich, more likely a dead coolant temp sensor.

Have you had a look at a recent thread on resetting the throttle cable? It's a simple process - you look at throttle position on an OBD reader, then locate the throttle cable adjustment on the throttle body bracket - snip the cable tie holding the square plastic retainer and rotate it until your re-tension it to the high 90's percentage, install a new cable tie.
Final thing - perform a hard reset, this clears all temp data in the ecu/throttle.
Take it for a good old run after letting it idle for 10 minutes to relearn throttle position.

Let us know the outcome.