XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tibbe keys and Lock sets

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tibbe keys and Lock sets

I've just spent considerable time last week re keying a complete set of used core tibbe locks to a nice NOS set of Jaguar 8 bite tibbe keys... 2 masters and one valet key with original key code bands intact. Not an easy job I can assure you.. The ignition, door and trunk barrels were straightforward, but the glove box Lock barrel is tricky. All together, about 8 hours labor for a first timer... I was told that the glove box lock was not doable, but they are.... ask questions if you decide to try this... The keys wear, but the locks should last forever😄

The following 2 users liked this post by Reggies dad:
ericjansen (07-02-2017), motorcarman (07-01-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Do you have more info about the glove box lock?
I've done an interior swap in my car, so the glove box came from another car, and the keys don't match.

Not that I ever lock it, and I have the correct key in the centre console... but still, worth asking

Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Glove box tibbe lock

under the plastic nose and spring lies a factory installed snap ring type retainer that is really hard to remove... but once removed, the core comes out of the casing and the discs can be re shuffled to match your key... note that only 6 discs are used on this Lock cylinder. You are using the first six cuts of the key starting at the end closest to the plastic handle.. I was just going to do what you are doing, but the OCD part of me couldn't leave one odd Lock with all three others done😄.. My next project is to make an 8 bite workable key for my set using the newer style SType factory key... Again, not an easy project 😜