XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing CAny hain Tools

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tools

Sorry for the separate threads, but I'm trying to keep responses separate. I've seen all the info related to the Lincoln LS having the same engine as the 01 XJ8. Anyone know if AutoZone or the like have a timing kit rental for the LS. I doubt they have one marked for Jaguar but I've seen a few Ford kits that are compatible with needs on my BMW and they are definitely different engines. I don't mind buying the tools if I have to, but I'm leaning toward a clean swap of timing chains, tensioners and guides, water pump and thermostat while I've got things broken down. With all that, anything I can save some money on is worth looking at.

Last edited by bluerdg; 01-24-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

I suspect that AutoZone/Advance/others do not, and will not have the Jaguar/Ford tools. A couple forum members have succeeded in borrowing/renting from their local Ford dealer. Check eBay for rental tools.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,371 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Maybe a group buy! there's a few inquiries about the timing chain and tensioner job on here at the moment, I use the SPX tools from the Jaguar enthusiasts club. You can also buy them direct from SPX the manufacturer (they used to be Churchill) who supply Jaguar.
Another member (tesla4all) has inquired about this job/tools, maybe go halves on them?
For what they look like
http://www.jec.org.uk/shop/69/engine-tools.html
supplier
http://www.spxtools-shop.com/home/index.php?id=165
my kit

Attached Thumbnails Timing CAny hain Tools-dscf4959.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you have an '01 XJ8, if you rent the tools, make sure the set includes the VVT winding tool. Many kits don't include it. I didn't find it necessary to have two cam locking bars, which is another difference between kits.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaginblack
Since you have an '01 XJ8, if you rent the tools, make sure the set includes the VVT winding tool. Many kits don't include it. I didn't find it necessary to have two cam locking bars, which is another difference between kits.
I've not seen anything listed as a winding tool, are you referring to the tensioning tool (flat bar) or should I be looking for something else. I've been through a video and step by step photo essay on the chain replacement and I don't recall any mention of it or any detailed instructions regarding VVT. About all I've really seen regarding VVT is related to removing the solenoids and replacing gaskets. Are there more instructions or videos out there involving some adjustments to VVT I need to know about?

Old 01-27-2011, 08:25 AM

It is a cylindrical thing with a handle, looks like it might be a sparkplug wrench. It has two little pins on the cylinder that engage two little holes in the intake cam VVT mechanism. You insert the tool and wind the VVT as far back as it will go counterclockwise ( about 1/4 turn in my case, but it varies) after setting the secondary chain tension. It is very simple to do, but that step is left out of one of the most popular PDF step by step docs, probably because that car was an earlier model before they added VVT. Your '01 does have it, as mine did.

Here is a pic from one of our fine vendors:
http://www.motorcarsltd.com/303-654.html

Old 01-27-2011, 08:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this winding tool necessary for the AJ27 engine only or also for the older AJ26 engine?

Thank, Ben

Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

Would "winding the VVT" have to be done when using the shortcut secondary chain replacement method, that uses ziptie strips? Also, not sure I understand the "winding" part. What does that step do? Does the VVT mechanism have a ratchet inside?

Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a cylindrical thing with a handle, looks like it might be a sparkplug wrench. It has two little pins on the cylinder that engage two little holes in the intake cam VVT mechanism. You insert the tool and wind the VVT as far back as it will go counterclockwise ( about 1/4 turn in my case, but it varies) after setting the secondary chain tension. It is very simple to do, but that step is left out of one of the most popular PDF step by step docs, probably because that car was an earlier model before they added VVT. Your '01 does have it, as mine did.

Thanks for clearing the air on that one. I too was in the dark there. I kinda figured out pretty much what you were saying but I appreciate the explanation as you have laid it out!.....

Old 01-28-2011, 07:07 AM

Anybody have the specs on this thing? $110.00 for a tool that's probably going to take longer to get out of the shrink wrap packaging than using seems a bit absurd. Any ideas on how much tension needed to turn. It looks like you could manage a 1/4 turn with a heavy coat hanger and a good set of pliers. Any other ideas?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Read a post somewhere where someone made one out of a cheap socket by grinding down the end leaving two 'pins'. Sounds doable to me.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Default VVT Rewind

You don't need this tool if you do the 'zip tie' method since the cam sprocket is never taken loose from the cam itself. If you take the cam loose from the sprocket you need to "rewind" the VVT to the most retarded position with the cam flats flat before you tighten the cam sprocket to the cam. I think this step may be overlooked in some of the literature, causing some folks to have cam timing too advanced after reassembly. It may not be an issue on the AJ26 engine. They had a simpler VVT.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Default VVT Winding Step

The attached PDF will clarify exactly when the winding is done. It is essentially in the middle of the tensioning and tightening sequence of the two sprockets.

This pdf is one part of what I thought was a better, more complete description of the timing upgrade project for the 2001 engine. The source link for the remaining parts is at the bottom of the page

Hope this helps to clarify - Rik

Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by jaginblack:
bforsik (01-31-2011), bluerdg (03-03-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Default VVT Tool

Originally Posted by bluerdg
Anybody have the specs on this thing? $110.00 for a tool that's probably going to take longer to get out of the shrink wrap packaging than using seems a bit absurd. Any ideas on how much tension needed to turn. It looks like you could manage a 1/4 turn with a heavy coat hanger and a good set of pliers. Any other ideas?
Having used it I can tell you that it doesn't take much effort to rotate the pins back to the start position. But that was my experience and all my parts had been cleaned at the machine shop before reassembly.

The handle looks like it is built for brute force, but the pins look like you could snap them off with needle nose pliers. It does fit perfectly down into the recess, most importantly, and that is probably what would make a cludge tough to fashion.

My thought was perhaps some snap ring pliers might reach the holes. But like I said, some of the kits will include it and it is definitely the right tool for the job.

Last edited by jaginblack; 01-29-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's not possible for me to view the file. Could please you post a short link?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dang I can't view it either.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Sorry, it should download and open with acrobat...

Here is a link to download that page from my cloud folder:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...0xjtiming4.pdf

Here are the rest of the pages in case that link on the document is no longer working:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...0xjtiming1.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...0xjtiming2.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...0xjtiming3.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...54_Timing5.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5992274/2009...5_timing_6.pdf

I'll try to keep these available, or someone can relocate them to the sticky.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM

Having used it I can tell you that it doesn't take much effort to rotate the pins back to the start position. But that was my experience and all my parts had been cleaned at the machine shop before reassembly.
Thanks for the info, you were right, I didn't see anything about winding the VVT in any of the info I've collected, I did come across the Zip Tie method, but it was vague regarding any winding. The PDF and files you provided are great, thanks again. Hopefully after we're done with this monster storm that's covering 3/4 of the country I'll be able to get started on this.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Jaginblack, very kind of you to make an off-site hosting attempt to provide the requested documents.

For you newer members, the 'attached' forum documents and images are available once you reach 3 days and a 10 post count (dan, you should be good from now on). bforsik, keep posting away for 'full privileges'

Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for this post. I have been making the tools necessary for the timing chain removal process. Good to know about the VVT adjustment. I will probably be making a tool for this by drilling a piece of flat stock steel and putting two bolts thru it that correspond to the size of the hole the pins would go in. I have already made the bar to hold the cams in place. I will take a picture of it when I get a chance for those who may want to replicate it themselves.