XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioner Question

I'm getting ready to dive into replacing timing chain components on a 2001 XJ8, base 4.0L. I've been trying to find a source(s) for the parts and tools and ran across a site that listed Hydraulic Secondary Tensioners. I've upgraded (recommended) drive belt tensioners on my BMW to hydraulic where applicable and have had no issues. In researching the timing chain, I've come across multitudes (thank you) of instructions, parts lists, videos, etc. but I don't recall any previous mention of hydraulic tensioners as an upgrade option to the obviously faulted first generation tensioners. The items I saw looked very similar and appeared to be capable of being mounted but the picture also looked as if there was some sort of connector built in. Wondering if anyone out there has used them and has some insight / recommendations etc. What I saw appeared to have a much more robust construction than the upgraded metal body tensioners that litter the parts house websites but they were about 10 bucks cheaper than the standard replacements. Any insight is appreciated.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The Jaguar secondary tensioners have been hydraulic since introduced. Am I understanding your question?

Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

They are all hydraulic, just get the metal/nylon upgraded replacements for the '01. Don't pull the locking pins too soon or drop them down in the you know where!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by test point
The Jaguar secondary tensioners have been hydraulic since introduced. Am I understanding your question?
I though the secondary tensioners were spring loaded? The ones I found had a similar shape and form for the shoe, but instead of a vertical cylinder, there is a horizontal cylinder that runs perpendicular to the travel of the shoe. There is the standard postage size photo, which even enlarged doesn't give the detail I'm looking for, but on the exposed end of the horizontal cylinder there appears to be a white plastic cap of plug, but it almost appears that there is an electrical connection in the center if it. It was a bit perplexing, as it's radically different in shape (as were those I upgraded on the BMW) and I can't imagine there would be a wire harness inside the timing cover, at least not to the location of the secondary tensioners.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

I don't think you are looking at a Jaguar tensioner. The second generation tensioner introduced in early '99 added a spring to the earlier design which reduced the 'rattle' symptom but did nothing for the reliability.

The tensioner is in the form of a 'T' with the top being the slipper the chain rides on. Couldn't find a picture handy but if you check the FAQ sticky at the top of the XK8/XKR forum I am sure you will find not only a picture but the complete replacement procedure with pictures.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by test point
I don't think you are looking at a Jaguar tensioner. The second generation tensioner introduced in early '99 added a spring to the earlier design which reduced the 'rattle' symptom but did nothing for the reliability.

The tensioner is in the form of a 'T' with the top being the slipper the chain rides on. Couldn't find a picture handy but if you check the FAQ sticky at the top of the XK8/XKR forum I am sure you will find not only a picture but the complete replacement procedure with pictures.
Yeah, I've been looking at the secondary tensioners for the past few weeks. Every picture I've seen is of the silver, orange and cream colored tensioner that looks like it has an orange push pin stuck into it. That's what drew my attention to this other component. It was Silver with a Black shoe. The Portion with the shoe looks almost identical, and they were even noting that you needed the new bolts, but the rest of it was completely different in shape. I've been scanning various sites to see who has the best price on the parts for the job and typically the secondary tensioners are listed as that with an indication of drivers and passenger side but this one was listed as HYDRAULIC tensioner. At first glance the shape led me to think it was a primary tensioner but it has the shoe where as the primary appears to be only a cylinder. It's no big thing, unless someone on here recognized it and had some insight I didn't see using it anyway. Like you said it's probably for a different model or for another make and somehow got posted in the wrong place. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 417 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Tensioners

Here's a picture of my old and new secondary tensioners. The old ones are the second generation, they are hydrolic but with a spring. The little push pin keeps the spring compressed so it's easier to get it in there, but don't forget to pull it out.

Attached Thumbnails Timing Chain Tensioner Question-old-n-new-tensioners.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Here's a picture of my old and new secondary tensioners. The old ones are the second generation, they are hydrolic but with a spring. The little push pin keeps the spring compressed so it's easier to get it in there, but don't forget to pull it out.
My bad, your picture is what 98% of the tensioners I've seen researching look like. I finally found the site where I'd seen these. The picture shows something entirely different, but the physical description also looked entirely different as well. They are aftermarket and when I clicked on the item details it took me to a page that indicated the picture was not correct for the item listed. It's no big thing, I did a swap of the drive belt tensioners and pulleys on my BMW back during the summer and researching it, I found that BMW had redesigned the belt tensioner originally installed and changed it from a spring loaded unit to one with a hydraulic cylinder. I also found that BMW at one point had issued a bulletin on it and was automatically swapping out the old units with the new during routine dealer service on the drive belts. I saw this particular item listing and was just wondering if I'd missed something. My understanding is that the current parts available are third generation upgrades to the original all plastic tensioners.

Last edited by bluerdg; 01-26-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Are you describing the hydraulic variable valve timing assembly, perhaps?

As stated by others, from the beginning, the secondary timing chain tensioners have been hydraulically actuated, 2nd gen (I believe) added spring assist. How they are being advertised is irrelevant.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 01-27-2011 at 01:02 AM.