XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Tensioner Question

Hello everyone,

Where is the check valve or non-return valve for the upper tensioners? Is it inside each tensioner itself or are the tensioners fed oil from another source, such as the VVT's? Or do the VVT's have their own non-return valve? If someone could post a PDF or schematic showing the oiling system routing of this engine, I would really appreciate it. The application is a 2005 Land Rover LR3 with 4.4L V8, which is exactly the Jag 4.2 slightly stroked for more torque.

My engine makes a sharp metallic rattle for a couple of seconds upon startup, then runs quiet. If I shut it off and then restart it, it starts silently as it should. The noisy side is the right side when viewed from the front. I have already changed the tensioner on this side, plus the short chain, but the problem persists. I can just push the tensioner down with my finger. Oil system is not blocked, verified w/ compressed air.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts
Default RE: Timing Chain Tensioner Question

There is no check valve for the tensioner,the tensioneris spring loaded to keep the chain quiet at start up, the tensioner gets oil from a passage in the head. I suppose that the one that installed the new tensioners did remove the spring keeper after installation? I have already noted that your noise may be from the solenoid valve for the VVT unit not seating correctly.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM

What exactly is this spring keeper? You're right, I did not personally install the tensioner, my mechanic did, we had a long discussion yesterday since the problem is still not solved. How could the solenoid valve cause this noise, and what is the procedure to reseat it? Keep in mind if I instantly restart the car, the engine starts with no extra noise at all. So far, I only have pics my mechanic took to view. Anything but having to change the whole VVT unit. Can you verify the VVT does, indeed, have a non-return valve in it?

Thanks, and I would still like a diagram of the oiling system if anyone has it.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The spring keeper holds the tensioner together for installation only. It is pulled out like a grenade pin after installation to allow the tensioner to tension. I have not met anyone that knows what is inside the VVT unit. There are no parts for it so no reason to open it up as Brutal explained. I doubt there is a valve in itfor reasonsI already stated.The valve is in the solenoid actuator.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:05 AM

Thanks oldmots. I'm sure the mechanic did this. How hard is it to change the solenoid valve? BTW, I have a recording of the startup rattle, not great but you can hear the rattle, I'm going to post it on my other thread about this topic.